Thursday, February 2, 2012

Book Report

So! One of my 2012 "resolutions" was to read more. I set myself a (pathetic) goal of 6 books for the year. Shortly thereafter, I discovered the Kindle for iPhone app and the Overdrive (free digital library books) app. So, long story short . . . I finished book number 6 on the last day of January. AM KICKING ASS on the resolutions front, no?

Here's what I've read so far:

1, 2 and 3) The Hunger Games trilogy

These were light and fluffy, but the story (however absurd) was gripping and the characters were likeable. These were the perfect books to get me back into the swing of reading: fun, quick and not to intellectually taxing. Literary cheesy-poufs, if you will. And now I have the movies to look forward to!

4) The Host

I was jonesing for another teeny bopper trilogy after The Hunger Games, and so I settled on this: the Twilight maven's first foray into "grown up" literature. While it was crazy long and probably could've stood to be edited down a bit, I genuinely liked it. I'm not huge on sci fi, but the characters here were interesting, multi-dimensional and really well developed. Wanderer is FAR more likeable than snivelling Bella Swan, in any event (although I'll fess up to having read that series as well. SO?)

5) Water for Elephants

My logic in picking this up was that I'd liked The Help, which was a bestseller, even though I never would've picked it up based on subject matter alone. While I can't say I was ever really interested in depression era circus acts before, I kind of am now! A few gold stars are due here.

6) Tempest

My husband found an article in the LA times about this book. Key phrases included "young adult series" and "time travel". I was sold right there. I'd say I liked this least of the 6 I've read this year, which says more about the other 5 books than it does about Tempest. The time travel stuff was interesting, if a little out there and tough to follow. The characters weren't quite as likeable as the characters in my other 5 books, but I could stomach them all the same. I think there will be other books in this series and I'll probably read them, because I'm a lemming. I won't be lining up at the bookstore at midnight on release night though.

I'm currently reading The Book of Tomorrow by Cecilia Ahern, my first Overdrive/Free Library book. What should I read next?

2 comments:

DomestiKook said...

The Time Travellers Wife. The Touchstone trilogy: Stray, Lab Rat One and Caszandra by Andrea K Host. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. The Fever Series (5 books) by Karen Marie Moning. Wideacre, The Favored Child and Meridon by Philippa Gregory.

Nutsy Coco said...

Overdrive is awesome! I've read a bunch of books from it in the past year.

Have you read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Series? I liked those. Winter's Bone was kind of depressing and gritty but I liked it and thought it was well written. I'm a big mystery read so mostly I've been catching up on my mystery fluff with Overdrive.