Tuesday, January 10, 2012

2011 Recap

A little late to the game, am I? Pshaw . . . it isn't even mid January yet. Thanks to Sundry for the awesome questionnaire!


1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?

I took (two!) international flights with a toddler, threw a first birthday party, hosted a big family event at our house (a combo Easter day brunch / baby shower), learned to use a DSLR, took a family vacation to Lake Arrowhead and bridesmaid-ed (twice!).

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Resolutions for 2012: made. I don't actually remember making any resolutions last year, thanks to not having blogged them (that's the value of blogging, right there, in a nutshell).

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Nope, but a few babies are due this year!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Boy's paternal grandmother, the matriarch of the Fischer clan. She lived an amazing, full life and is leaving the most incredible legacy I can imagine: a large, close-knit family of people who predominantly like each other.

5. What countries did you visit?
England


6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

A cushier bank balance.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 30th, my son's first birthday. April 29th, the royal wedding (SHUT UP). November 6, the day we flew to England.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?


Finding a little more balance between working and momming and finally feeling like I'm doing both things (or, all three things, rather, as I consider running my Etsy shop to be working as well) at a solid, respectable level.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not sticking to our budget (although I'll admit, we had a damn good time ignoring it).

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Several barfing illnesses (thanks, TODDLER!) and a sinus infection or two, but nothing earth shattering.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Toss up: Our DSLR or our king size bed.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, daycare, The Gap.

13. What did you get really excited about?
Our trip to the UK!

14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Everything on the upcoming, as yet unreleased Jealous Sound album that I got my hands on early because my husband is teh awesome. It is fucking incredible.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder?: Happier. See above re: work/mom balance
– thinner or fatter?: Thinner! I finally lost all my baby weight (and then some). THANK YOU BREASTFEEDING AND CRAZY, RAMBUNCTIOUS TODDLER!
– richer or poorer?: Poorer (GAP!!! *shakes fist*)

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Playing with my boy, reading.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Worrying.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
Like this.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
Game of Thrones. BY A LOT.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Gah, this is so embarrassing, but I'm not even sure I can claim having read a whole book. I'm resolved to read more this year . . . and I'm duly ashamed. I read lots of blogs though, in my defense. My brain hasn't entirely turned to jelly.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?


Jealous Sound, every 90s emo band I loved that is now easily accessible via Spotify.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
We've had more of a Netflix year than a theater year. I loved The Kings Speech and Time After Time. I realize one of those films is as old as I am. GO WITH IT.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 32. On the day itself, I picked my son up early and we stopped by a park on the way home. Then my son, husband and I had breakfast for dinner at a local diner. We then celebrated my and my mom's birthdays jointly with an overnight trip to Disneyland.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More time to spend with my boys.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Jeans and striped shirts.

26. What kept you sane?
Coffee.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.

Time spent worrying is time hopelessly wasted.

And now for a bonus photo a month parade:

JANUARY


FEBRUARY


MARCH


APRIL


MAY


JUNE


JULY


AUGUST


SEPTEMBER


OCTOBER


NOVEMBER


DECEMBER

1 comment:

Rhiannon said...

ACK! Your baby is a toddler!