Monday, December 26, 2011

Nail Fail

When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Which has never stopped me from glomming like a lemming onto Fabulous! New! Products! Nutra Nail Gel Perfect 5 minute, UV free gel nail color was no exception.

I like my gel manicures. LOVE them. They're shiny, they are dry as bones the second I walk out of the salon (no smudges!) and they last up to three weeks (when all is going well), and at least a week chip free even when everything goes awry.

What I don't like about gel manicures? Having to fit in a salon appointment and paying $35 + tip.

Nutra Nail Gel Color was a seemingly perfect solution . . . gel that costs around $10 and that I could apply at home. I tried Peony first, a gorgeous metallic, candy apple red:



The instructions were clear and easy to follow. The polish did indeed set rock hard in 5 minutes. The shine was off the charts. The color was gorg. All seemed totally well . . . until I made my first chip, I shit you not, TWO HOURS after polishing. I hoped that chip was a fluke, but the chips kept coming. I experienced even more chipping than I typically do with regular polish (although there was no tip wear, which was surprising, but didn't make up for the chipping issue). And then when the time came, the polish was a bitch and a half to remove.

I went on to try a creme shade next, Dhalia, thinking that perhaps the formula might be a little hardier.



Dhalia went on a little less smoothly, but was still rock hard and super shiny within 5 minutes of polishing. This shade made it through day one looking pretty good, but by day 4 I had this:



UV free, at home gel: great idea, but no dice just yet. SADLY, since I'd have loved for this product to be a winner! I'll still be among the first to try out the next at home gel product, but this one, unfortunately, is a dud. Save your $10.

1 comment:

DomestiKook said...

Thanks for the tip, I had wondered about it. On the plus side, I got Nails Inc Magnetic Polish in Trafalgar Square and it is awesome! Haven't really had time to test for chipness yet but I am hopeful, and it dries really fast.