Monday, October 10, 2011

Bentotastic

Back when I was pregnant with Rhys I came into a copy of this adorable book on Bento Boxes for kids. I became OBSESSED with collecting cute Bento ideas and that year for Xmas, the hubs bought me a sweet little panda box and a pair of hard boiled egg molds.

Thrilled as I was to get those Bento fixings, they've been shelved in a cupboard until just now. While I knew I wanted to be the kind of mom who made cute little Bento lunches for her kidlet, I didn't have a real-food-lunch-eating kidlet until recently. And when Leah posted a link to Wendolonia's Bento blog on Friday, it was just the kick in the butt I needed to pull the panda out of storage.

I packed Rhys his first Bento for lunch today. I'm told he liked it quite a bit.



Along with the panda box, I used a bunch of silicone baking cups that I'd received as wedding gifts but never used (they're adorable, but typically when I bake cupcakes I bring them somewhere and, as such, am not in a position to ask for the wrappers back!). Rhys had homemade whole wheat mac and cheese from the night before, paired with a cup of peas and studded with tiny cheese stars that I cut out using a punch that came with my Zoku popsicle maker. The second tier of the panda was fruit themed and included a stack of halved strawberries, a pile of sliced blueberries and a homemade (whole wheat and olive oil based) pumpkin bread cookie.

I'm pretty pleased with the aesthetics of the box, for a first attempt! I'm looking forward to trying out a few more ideas (mini wheat bagel sandwiches filled with crushed blueberries and cream cheese? whole wheat quesadillas cut into star shapes? Mikey Mouse pancakes?) Bento sharing might become a regular feature around these parts!

Do you know of any good Bento idea resources? Are you interested in seeing the lunches I come up with for Rhys?

3 comments:

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane said...

Can you please start packing my lunch every day too!? You're a good mama.

Jane said...

I am pretty sure that Bento box lunch and mouse doors are the stuff that makes a childhood magical.