Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mama Approved: Beautifully Illustrated Childrens' Books

Rhys and I try to read at least four books per day: the quick book we try to fit in when he wakes up, the several we sit down with after his post work/daycare nursing session and our occasional, usually unsuccessful attempts at a bedtime story (When Rhys decides it is nigh nighs, it is NIGH NIGHS, BITCHES!)

We've been lucky to receive a slew of gorgeous, hardcover childrens' books as gifts for Rhys. A few of my favorites, for sweet, simple story content and beautiful illustrations that I never tire of admiring, are:

Little Owl Lost by Chris Haughton



Did you realize that a sixteen month old can't always sit through an entire Dr. Seuss or Little Golden Book story? I didn't! And the first time I tried to read Are You My Mother? in its entirety, Rhys was at the other end of the room trying to stuff a toy truck between the slats of his crib by the time I hit page 13. This book has a similar story line to Are You My Mother?, but it gets to the point in far fewer pages. Plus, I just adore the crafty aesthetic and jewel tones of the illustrations.

Cars Galore by Peter Stein and Bob Staake



Uber-cute, mid-century style illustrations and a really well composed rhythm . . . this book is one of our favorites! I'd imagine as the Meyers gets older, he'll continue to enjoy this book as he learns to point out the various cars described in the text, all of which are featured as adorable illustrations.

Spartacus the Spider by Etienne Delessert



This book, man . . . beautiful illustrations, a sweet story written using words that are accessible enough for children, yet really kinda grown up in theme and tone, and a spider in a centurion helmet. Could it get any cuter? I think not.

So! There are MY favorites. Stay tuned tomorrow for a post on Rhys' personal favorite books.

What are YOUR favorite childrens' books? Are they the same as your kids' favorite books?

No comments: