Friday, September 2, 2011

The e.l.f. Saga Continues . . .

I've got a trio of topics today:

1) e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow. I love my Bare Minerals eye shadows, so I was excited to try e.l.f.'s (MUCH cheaper!) version. I ordered Smoldering, a shimmering charcoal grey:



and swatched (bare skin, no primer):



I was impressed. Really impressed. The shadow had a smooth texture, tons of mineral shimmer (but not glitter) and it blended and wore pretty much exactly like my Bare Minerals shadows do. Well played, e.l.f.

2) e.l.f. Studio Blush in Fuchsia Fusion

I was REALLY excited to try this blush. I've always wanted to try a hot pink blush, but never felt like I could justify spending Sephora style prices on something that may or may not look good on me. I'm a sucker for the Nars copycat packaging too:



I'm happy to report that I like this blush. It is bright, happy and glittery. Not something I see myself wearing every day, but fun to pull out on occasion.

3) e.l.f. Mineral Lipglosses (in Night Owl and Trophy Wife), Studio Lip Stain (in Mysterious), Pout Perfecter and Essential Feather Proof Moisturizing Lip Liner (in Bark and Mauve Luxe)



Here they are swatched:


From left to right: Liners in Mauve Luxe and Bark, Lip Stain in Mysterious, Pout Perfecter and Mineral Glosses in Trophy Wife and Night Owl.

There's just no polite way to say this, but they were all duds. That may be unfair. Let me revise: The Mineral Gloss in Night Owl is ok enough that I'm keeping it on my desk at work for random mindless touch ups. The rest? I doubt they'll see any wear.

The liners have an unflattering white-ish cast and one has scratchy wood bits around the product tip (the diameter of the product is narrower than the diameter of the hole in the pencil, so sharpening won't rectify the situation). Trophy Wife is neither here nor there . . . not sparkly enough to be cool and with no pigment to recommend it otherwise. The Lip Stain in Mysterious is pale and chalky and the Pout Perfecter, while the concept is pretty cool, refuses to stay put on my bottom lip, resulting in random flecks of holographic glitter smattered all over my lips.

Aside from the fact that e.l.f.'s website doesn't seem to adequately represent these lip colors (they're all much, MUCH more sheer and/or light than they appear on my screen), I think the formulas could all use some improving. Needless to say I'll be ordering very judiciously when it comes to e.l.f. lip products in the future (although I won't say I feel "had", by any means . . . These products cost $1, $1.50 a pop at most, since I ordered during a sale.)

Here's a FOTD using many of these (and a few other) products, full list below:



* Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer in Light
* Ulta Mineral Foundation (as concealer)
*** e.l.f. Studio Blush in Fuchsia Fusion ***
* e.l.f. Studio HD Powder
* Too Faced Shadow Insurance
* e.l.f. Shimmer Eyeliner Pencil in Gunmetal
*** e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow in Smoldering ***
* Bare Minerals Eyeshadow in Celestine
* Maybeline Brow Pencil
* Revlon Custom Eyes Mascara in Black
*** e.l.f. Lipliner in Mauve Luxe ***
*** e.l.f. Mineral Lipgloss in Trophy Wife ***

No comments: