Friday, August 12, 2011

Ulta Haul

As a mom, I find precious little time anymore for crafty indulgences. I've got to slot creative time in wherever I can, and I've discovered a loophole: I put on makeup every morning anyways. If I get creative with said makeup, that feels like "craft" time, even though I'm not going much over the amount of time I've allotted to general personal care. My son enjoys playing with my makeup brushes while I work, to boot. Win!

My obsession with makeup: justified.

Recently I got an email from Ulta about a huge, 13 piece bonus (still available!) that was just too good to pass up.

I was running low on my Bare Minerals foundation (which I use as concealer), so I thought I'd take the opportunity to try Ulta's own version. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised . . . Ulta's mineral foundation is $14 compared to Bare Minerals' $26. The Ulta shade range is more limited, but the shade I chose actually works better for me than my former Bare Minerals shade. The formula feels identical and, so far, seems to be wearing just as well. I'm going to pronounce this one a win.

In order to get the bonus, I had to spend a few dollars more, which I did on a Baked Eyeshadow duo in Taken:

The dark shade was more grey than mushroom in person, but still a great, wearable neutral. I thought the marbled texture of the lighter shade was kind of gimmicky, but on my eyelid the copper and pale pink blended into a gorgeous, almost duochrome shade. These shades are really similar to a pair I've been using a lot from my Urban Decay Alice In Wonderland palette (Drink Me, Eat Me on the lid and Vorpal in the crease), but in this smaller, more portable package this set is an ideal alternative for travel. The color payoff on these isn't quite Urban Decay caliber, but, in my opinion, Urban Decay shadows are the cream of the crop. These Ulta shades are totally acceptable . . . I wasn't expecting them to rival Urban Decay at $8 for a duo.

I was most excited to try the blush included in the bonus, Afternoon Delight, since it seemed in the pan to be a lighter version of Nars Orgasm. It was, unfortunately, a bit too light on me (and I'm quite fair). Perhaps I'll give it another try in the dead of winter, when I'm at my palest.



Here's the look I came up with this morning using lots of my Ulta goodies, products listed below:

* Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer in Fair
* Ulta Mineral Foundation in Fair 05 as concealer (New!)
* Bare Minerals Mineral Veil powder
* Ulta Blush in Afternoon Delight (from bonus)
* Too Faced Shadow Insurance
* Ulta Baked Eyeshadow in Taken (New!)
* Ulta Lash Blow Out Mascara in Black (from bonus)
* Maybelline brow pencil in light brown
* Ulta lipliner in Mink (from bonus)
* Ulta lipstick in Iced Cappuchino (from bonus)

Anyone interested in seeing those two bonus eyeshadow quads in action? I'm thinking of doing a post on them!

No comments: