Friday, August 19, 2011

e.l.f. Haul Part II (Electric Boogaloo)

In addition to the 100 eyeshadow palette I reviewed yesterday, I also purchased:

2) e.l.f. Studio High Definition Powder




This is the product I was most excited to try . . . it actually inspired me to order from e.l.f. in the first place. I was running low on my Bare Minerals Mineral Veil and I'd been eying some pricier HD powders at Sephora. I thought I'd give e.l.f.'s version a try after reading a rad review on Lipglossiping. Sadly, I can't say I found it as magical as she did. This may be more a function of my skin type than of the powder, but it has a white cast when I first apply it. After an hour or so, it settles into my skin and looks pretty great, but for that first hour it looks kind of chalky and ghostly, moreso than the slightly tinted Bare Minerals Mineral Veil does. Once it settles, I DO appreciate the light diffusing properties of this powder and I think because of that it'll get used quite a bit, initial chalkiness notwithstanding.

3) e.l.f. Studio Mineral Face Primer





Another item I've been wanting to add to my makeup kit is a good, clear primer. I have used (and loved!) Too Faced Primed and Poreless , but was interested in finding something a) cheaper and b) clear. This primer fit the bill perfectly. It goes on smoothly and really does make my mineral foundation (used as concealer) apply like butter. I'm going to monitor my skin for long term effects (I'm concerned this primer might be drying if used daily), but for now I'm pronouncing it a tentative win.

Up next, a trio of dollar buys:

4) e.l.f. Essential Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in Black
5) e.l.f. Essential Blending Eye Brush
6) e.l.f. Essential Eyelid Primer in Pearl





The blending brush was a spectacular find for which I'd have paid 10x the price. If you are in need of a few brushes, get ye to e.l.f.'s site immediately. You won't be disappointed (unless you are a die hard fancy brush addict, in which case ignore what I just said. I'm sure you and your MAC brushes are very happy together.)

The pen eyeliner is positively SWOONWORTHY . . . goes on inky black in a precise, thin line and doesn't budge until it is taken off. This is the eyeliner I've been waiting my whole life for.

As for the eye primer, I'm a die hard Too Faced Shadow Insurance fan, but figured for a buck (or 3, below), it was worth trying out e.l.f.'s primers to see if the cheaper alternatives were as good. The white pearl primer was more glittery than pearlescent, not in a bad way, just not what I was expecting. My shadow lasted a good 11 hours and fell off my eyelids, seemingly in one fell swoop, at the 12 hour mark. I chose shadows from the e.l.f. 100 kit, just to be certain that I could attribute staying power to the primer since, if I'd used Urban Decay shadows, for example, I'd expect those to last quite some time primer notwithstanding. 11 hours from a $1 primer? Well played, e.l.f. I'll still be using my Too Faced Shadow Insurance for big events, long days, etc., I don't see any reason not to add this bargain primer into the rotation, however. It performs adequately . . . you could even say it performs heroically, given the price.

and 7) e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer




This was Meyers' favorite item, as he found it was delicious . . .



. . . it fit through the slats of our bench . . .



. . . and it made an excellent drumstick.


So, there's the roundup! 7 items purchased, all of them usable, two stand outs (the eyeliner and blending brush . . . both $1 items!), a shipping hassle and an insanely low price (My bill came to $26 and change for all 7 items). I'll be ordering from e.l.f. again (I actually, er, already have) albeit with lots of jokes about how I just hope to get my items in time for Xmas.

No comments: