Friday, July 29, 2011

Shower Invites

I haven't had much opportunity to indulge in papercrafting lately, so when my sister in law and I decided to throw a small shower/bachelorette party for our soon-to-be new sister in law, I jumped on the opportunity to make the invitations. I only needed to make six, so I was able to go all out! I suppose since we only invited six people and all of them are family or bridal party we didn't really NEED invitations, right? But, WHATEVER. I wanted to play with my ink and paper.

I used blank cream colored cards and created a background using Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Dusty Concord, Black Soot and Broken China a la this tutorial, with a little ink blending on the edges to soften the look a bit. I then used image stamps from the Tim Holtz collection, a bird on a branch and a little crown along with embossing ink and powders to create a "painted on", glossy effect. I finished the cards off with a black embossed "you are invited" stamp. I've found that when embossing on top of an elaborate ink background, it is best to wait a few hours, or even overnight, for the background ink to dry in order to avoid having it pick up any stray embossing powder. Conveniently so, as I usually have to stop a few times mid project to attend to the Meyers anyhow.

I printed the whats, whens and wheres on regular paper and used self adhesive photo corners (from Aaron Brothers) to attach the info to the insides of the cards.

Lastly, I used my awesome skeleton key return address stamp (in black) and my "H" seal (in gold) on the envelopes.

The invites should be arriving at their destinations today. I hope everyone likes them!



Are you a fan of handmade paper goods? What's the coolest invitation or card you've ever received?

No comments: