Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mickey Mouse Pancakes

I typically deposit Rhys into a high chair at daycare drop off time and break up a cereal bar for him to feed to himself (he also eats a homemade blueberry waffle at home in the mornings . . . first breakfast, second breakfast . . . he's a growing boy, what can I say?). However, once in a while, the daycare ladies have something special made up for the kidlets (raisin toast, muffins, etc.), and it was on one such day that I learned my child FREAKING LOVES pancakes. Like, whoa. There was clapping, squealing, gobbling . . . it was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

Naturally, that very weekend, I decided we needed to have a pancake morning. And to up the mind-blowing ante, I opted to make MICKEY MOUSE pancakes.

(Side note: Once when I was 7 or 8 and were in Las Vegas visiting my grandma, I requested Mickey Mouse pancakes for breakfast. Internet, she made the entire mouse body. Including a tail. Using TOOTHPICKS to spread the batter. How much do we love her?)

I followed this super simple and highly rated recipe . The batter was puffy, not liquidy like I was expecting. The fluffiness worked though . . . the batter was easy to shape into Mickey Mouse forms and it cooked up light and, well, fluffy.

I used kiwi for the smile, halved blueberries for the eyes and a strawberry chunk for a nose. I'm not sure the Meyers fully appreciated my artwork, but he definitely appreciated the pancakes.




Have you ever made Mickey Mouse pancakes? Are there any other fun shapes to try?

4 comments:

Jane said...

http://pinterest.com/pin/36817371/

How much do we love pinterest?

DomestiKook said...

Have you seen JimsPancakes.com? That Dad is awesome.

HollyLynne said...

Whoa!! Clearly, I need to up my game :)

Rhiannon said...

My Papa used to make Mickey Mouse pancakes for us! I have a star pancake mold and that's about as fancy as we get up in here :-)