Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Waffleliciousness

Rhys is really big on self-feeding lately, so he just adores having his own waffle to nom on in the mornings while we get him dressed. I can't say I've loved the idea of handing him something pre-packaged from the freezer, though. So, one Sunday morning when we had a bit of spare time I decided to make waffles for breakfast and attempt to freeze the leftovers for weekday use.

You guys? It worked SO MUCH BETTER than I'd anticipated. Home made waffles are bigger than the store bought variety, but once broken in half they fit perfectly both in freezer bags for storage and in our toaster. Half a waffle is a baby friendly portion, so I dare say these home made waffles work BETTER for us than the store bought variety. They're free from weird ingredients and preservatives, they're tastier than store bought waffles, I feel better about serving them to Rhys and, in a neat twist of fate, they taste even BETTER having been frozen and toasted than they did the day they were made.

I use the following recipe, the basic waffle recipe that came with my waffle iron, with my changes marked with **:

2 cups all-purpose*whole wheat* flour
2 tablespoons granulated*brown* sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-3/4 cups reduced fat*whole* milk
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
*1/2 tsp vanilla*
*1/2 tsp cinnamon*
*1/4 cup blueberries*

- Cook 1/4 cup at a time on level 4 1/2
- Yields about 10-12 waffles
- Place whole waffles on a plate with plastic wrap in between waffles and freeze until hard (overnight)
- Break frozen waffles in half and store in freezer bags
- Toast waffle halves (1 minute, 45 seconds in my toaster)

Now, I'm not suggesting that I plan to make all of Rhys' waffles from scratch now. I'm a realist. But I will say that on that one weekend a month when we do make waffles from scratch, I'll be making a full batch (or even a batch and a half) and freezing the leftovers.

No comments: