Monday, June 20, 2011

Mama Approved: Maybelline Super Stay 24 Hour Lipcolor

My last experience with all day lipstick was in high school. I had a tube of first generation Revlon Colorstay in a (probably pretty garish) apricot-y brown shade. The stuff was a crack-y, cake-y nightmare and I've been sworn off of long lasting lipstick ever since.

However! I'm a mom now. And mom-ing leaves precious little time for lipstick applying. So, with great trepidation, I browsed the shelves of Rite-Aid for something that might have a bit more staying power than my usual gloss. I picked up two tubes of Maybelline's Super Stay 24 Hour Lipcolor, chosen mostly because it was cheap to begin with (around $10) and on sale for buy one get one half off. I bought one tube in Always Heather, a vaguely metallic mauve and one tube in Constant Cocoa, a slightly glittery nude spice.
I fully expected this review to read something along the lines of "24 hours? Pshaw! More like 2 1/2!", but, guys? This stuff works. Observe:

Clockwise from upper left: a) freshly applied in the morning, b) after tea and breakfast, d) after work, lunch and several glasses of water and e) at night, right before I REMOVED IT WITH MAKEUP REMOVER before bed.

My mind was absolutely blown. Had I left the lipstick on overnight, I'm fairly certain traces of it would've been visible in the morning, truly earning the "24 hour" name. Was there fading? Sure! I can live with a little fading over the course of a full day, though.


It has to be said that I have used this on other days and had less stellar results. Meaning I've had the lipstick last 6 hours instead of 12+. I think it is key that your lips be completely clean and dry when you apply the lipcolor (no balm underneath!) and that you let the color dry fully, 3-4 minutes, before applying the topcoat.


Also, unless you like a matte look, you'll be reapplying that topcoat a few times throughout the day. On the day of the photos above, I used the included topcoat (which is nice) as well as any old balm I had lying around. I'm sure the "any old lipbalm" technique isn't endorsed by Maybelline, but I have to say it works . . . and using the balms I've got strategically stashed in my car, purse, desk, etc. saved me from having to schlep around a tube of lipcolor all day.


A+!

No comments: