Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bridesmaids' Jewelry

Hey! So remember how I used to be really crafty and I made all sorts of rad stuff? And then remember how I had a baby who wasn't exactly jewelry torch and sewing machine friendly? Well, guess what? Mr. Mooseburger sleeps now, on occasion! So I've been making stuff again.





One big project I've undertaken recently is making five necklaces for my sister-in-law's wedding, which is this coming Saturday. The bridesmaids' dresses are long, royal blue and strapless (with pockets!). My SIL found a few inspiration necklaces involving brass chain, colored pearls and asymetric styling. Her initial front runner inspiration necklace was made using a silk flower . . . we found vintage paper flowers and made a mock up which was DARLING, but a bit of a daring choice. I came up with the design below which has a bit of sparkle, thanks to teeny, tiny Swarovski crystals, and is more classic:



The pearls are Swarovski in a color called Powdered Almond . . . a beige-y nude. There are three sizes of pearls and the cluster elements, which I made by hand, are dotted with super tiny (3mm!) Swarovski crystal bicones in a shade called Golden Shadow . . . clear and not yellow, not orange . . . more a true beige-y gold. I'm pleased as punch with how they turned out.



Since I've been very interested in cardmaking lately, my SIL, ever accomodating of my crafty impulses, agreed to let me make tags and wrap the necklaces up for her to give to her bridesmaids. I made the tags below using Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Black Soot and Broken China (both mixed with water for a marbled texure and buffed on for a distressed edge), silver ink and a Tim Holtz swirl stamp and each bridesmaid's name embossed in gold on top. There are four layers of ink on each tag . . . they're like little, individual art projects!

Here's what the packages looked like, all wrapped up and ready to give:
I can't wait to see how the necklaces look on everyone in a few days!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Beautiful jewelery, which I sure will be worn by the bridesmaids for many events after the wedding. Great tags, too! I'll be wearing the necklace you made for me to wear to your wedding to Emily's wedding on Saturday.