Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sewing Toys!!!


I saw a version of this project on OhDeeDoh back when I was pregnant and thought KILLER idea! I can't find the post now, but the gist was that you could take old, stained baby clothes with cool prints, cut them up, add some ribbon and sew them together with the plastic from a package of wipes and presto! (nearly) instant baby toy.

To that end I've been saving the plastic from wipes packages. Paul found my stash last night and mocked me for saving trash . . . SO! Had to show him :) I whipped up two toys today.



I managed to make these in about fifteen minutes each, while Rhys was napping. How's that for an easy project? I used scraps of fabric from my stash instead of old baby clothes (I can't bear to cut anything up and we don't have anything stained beyond repair yet, just outgrown). I added random bits of ribbon and just had fun with the design. To insert the plastic, just make a sandwich with the two right sides of your toy facing each other and the plastic on the back of one side . . . sew three sides around, turn right side out and sew up the fourth side, inserting a ribbon loop for hanging if desired.



These are fun, colorful, lightweight enough for Rhys to grab and lift and they make that awesome crinkly sound babies love. I offered one to Rhys just minutes after I'd made and and I'm pleased to report, they're Baby Approved!

2 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Very cute! Gotta love quick projects!

Amy said...

What a great idea! I see another Etsy store in your future...I'd buy this!