Saturday, May 8, 2010

The First Week Home

This last week has just been amazing. The hardest but the best of my life! Rhys is doing great . . . he's a perfect angel and YES he lets us sleep! I know that can change at any moment but for now I'm infinitely grateful. We can get him down for the night by about 1 or 1:30 am and he's up for a diaper change and a snack around 4 or 5, then out until 7 or 8, another diaper change, then more sleep until about 11-ish which gives me time to shower. Huzzah for daily showering!!! During the day it is an hour or two rotation of eat, nap, poop. He eats and poops like a pro. And even travels pretty well! Yesterday we went to the pediatrician (where we found out he's only an ounce shy of regaining his birth weight. WAY TO GO BABY DUDE!), out to lunch, to the post office, to my office and to the OB. A four hour outing and he was perfect and easy the whole time.

Breastfeeding . . . is going pretty well now. We got off to a rough start. Rhys was born on Friday and my milk didn't even start to come in until Tuesday. We had to start off supplementing because he's a BIG little dude and he lost weight too quickly for comfort at first. Things are going better now . . . he nurses like a pro and we're tapering off the formula. There were days where he'd nurse for hours straight and still be hungry (3 1/2 hours once. Not. Kidding.). We've had to be REALLY stubborn and REALLY persistent, but we're getting it done and I'm so happy it is all working out.

Csection recovery? Not so bad. I've been getting by on Advil and haven't needed any of my "good" drugs since I left the hospital. Those first 48 hours in the hospital were rough, but it is amazing how quickly I've healed since then. Paul and I have been going on walks, out to lunch . . . all sorts of things I didn't think I'd be able to do this early after Rhys' birth.

And the best part? We get to wake up to this face every morning:

9 comments:

Meaghan said...

What a cutie! So glad you & family are doing great!

Nutsy Coco said...

Glad to hear that things are going well, you're recovering quickly and that Bean is a healthy, happy baby. And hopefully he'll continue to let you sleep!

merrymishaps said...

What a sweetie. Welcome home!

Jennifer said...

So glad to read this! I've been so excited to hear from you :)

What a sweet face. Hugs to everyone, Holly!

Jane said...

Yeah for things going so well! Yeah for sleep! Yeah for healthy growth! I was thinking about you today and hoping for a BF post. I want to do it when we have kids, but it's always nice to hear from real moms about it.

Krameymartin said...

He's so gorgeous! Yay!:)

Glad you are getting sleep and recovering quickly!

Domesticrazy said...

That is great news! He IS an adorable little guy. I'm glad the nursing is working out, and good for you for sticking with it after such a rough start! I'll never forget the women I saw in the hospital after their C-sections: 1) you poor lady, and 2) Glad you're healing fast and well. Eeesh!

Enjoy the sleep, baby smells and cuddles. Kiss his feet for me!

HollyLynne said...

Thanks guys! Jane, the breastfeeding really IS getting better . . . for as long as it took for my milk to come in I woke up engorged this morning. It is just a matter of working through the rough patches and not giving up. We did have to supplement . . . we still are supplementing a little and I know that's a "touchy" decision to have made. For the record though, he doesn't have any nipple confusion and still nurses like a pro. Trusting my instincts and sticking to it has really worked for us.

TamaliMama said...

Congrats on your beautiful boy! I have 2 and as they get older things just keep getting better. Have a great day.