Friday, January 15, 2010

Little Man's Room

Our big project over the last three weekends has been getting little Bean's room ready for him. We have a second bedroom in the condo (and an upstairs loft that we use as our office) and, knowing that we planned to make a bean soon, we hadn't decorated the second bedroom at all. We had it set up with an air mattress and some spare furniture as a makeshift "guest room" like this:



First order of business was painting, which we did the weekend after new years (with an environmentally rated, zero VOC paint, of course). We picked a light teal color . . . not really bright, not really pastel . . . it is fun and calming without reading too "baby":



We also washed all of the white chair and ottoman slipcovers and visited a carpeting store to pick out our new carpet and set up a measurement appointment.

Then last weekend we had a marathon session involving cleaning out the closet to make room for Bean's things:



Painting my old wood side table bright orange, the perfect accent color to the teal walls:



And painting the chair rail . . . fun with painters' tape!

We also made an Ikea run for some shelves and lamps, reconfigured our storage in order to clear out Bean's closet and wallpapered the back panel of my childhood bookcase (pics coming soon!)

On Thursday, the window in Bean's room was measured for shutters which are being built now and will be installed sometime before Valentine's day. And tooodaayyyyyy . . . the new carpet is going in. As I type! This is what my living room looked like when I left for the office this morning:



YIKES, right?! But fortunately carpet is a one day deal and by the time I get home my Boy will have put most of the furniture back where it belongs. Husbands are handy like that.

This weekend we're going to work on cleaning out our closet and moving the furniture around in our room (mommy and daddy's room deserves some attention too) and also on building the crib and changing table and hopefully putting up the new shelves in Bean's room. If I've got the time (and I should, hooray for three day weekends!!!) I'm going to make a run to the fabric store and recover a few pillows and bits for the room. We've got a framing project or two left . . . and an artwork project I'm really excited about.

We're getting there, in other words. I love how everything has turned out so far and I can't wait to see it all completed and set up.

4 comments:

Krameymartin said...

I CAN NOT WAIT to see it all put together! I love your color choices, they are so different and original!

It's going to look so fresh and happy in there!

Katelar said...

It's going to be so great! Can't wait to see that orange table in there (I'm a sucker for pops of color)!

Nutsy Coco said...

Looks like it's coming along great! And I second YAY for 3-day weekends! I have lots on my to do list too.

Kimberly said...

Hi Holly,
I found your blog via Flickr ... LOVE it! The orange table is wonderful, I can't wait to see it all together!
Kimberly
http://yeptheyareallmine.blogspot.com/