Thursday, December 17, 2009

Coming up for air

So! The holidays on Etsy have been FANTASTIC. They've also been kicking my ass, hence the relative radio silence around these parts. I made my 1,000th sale on December 6th and today, just 11 days later I'm at 1054. Those are some pretty fierce numbers, methinks, and I've got the hours logged standing in line at the post office to prove it!

Postal line bitching aside, I'm seriously grateful to all the fantastic customers who have helped to make my little shop such a success this year. Thanks guys, for the wedding in Wales you collectively paid for and for the new master and Bean's room carpet we're installing in a month or two. And thanks for the fact that you all bought SO! MUCH! this holiday season that I don't have to decide between nice new carpet or new shutters for Bean, little man gets BOTH. Not that he'll notice or care, I realize . . . but this makes me one happy mama-to-be. He's going to have a kick-ass nursery and my little shop and all my amazing customers made that possible.

I make what I like and the world likes it enough to buy it. That little fact still blows my mind and makes me feel lucky every single day.

Aside from Etsy, there has been the usual holiday chaos over her in IndieHomeEc land: preparing for the big feast which will take place at Boy and my house this year (YIKES!), researching recipes and finding ingredients, wrapping up presents and doing last minute checks to make sure we haven't forgotten anyone or anything, trimming the tree, mailing out holiday cards (110!!!) and, starting tonight, BAKING LIKE A MADWOMAN! (Not to mention attempting to do my yoga every night because I feel like a whale when I don't, trying to stop myself from buying every cute Bean thing I see and failing miserably, visiting the doctor every four weeks and you know, just generally cooking a baby.)

How are your holiday preparations going?

4 comments:

Krameymartin said...

I'm so totally sucking at holiday preparations. I still don't have gifts for Taylor's brothers. All I've done is get the tree up and send out Christmas cards.

And congrats on the Etsy stuff! It's all so pretty! I need to order something!

Nutsy Coco said...

Congrats on your Etsy shop!

My holiday prep is going. Decorated, most of the cards out, most of the gifts bought, most of the gifts wrapped, some of the cookies made, but always more that could be done!

Moose said...

That's amazing! Congratulations! I'm still holding strong at one sale. YES!

Thanks for the Christmas card, by the way. You and your family (including Bean!) are so damn cute.

HouseofMsMyTPen said...

Happy holidays to you. I've got two super easy recipes. There is a lemon thyme cookie on the food network that I took to our cookie exchange at work and it was wonderful. Extremely easy cookies to make. I added a 1/3 cup more sugar and along with the zested and juiced lemon, I added a few more teaspoons of the italian lemon juice in the bottle. It's stronger that good old real lemon. 1/2 tsp of sea salt and less black pepper. The cookies are crisp and are great with drinks or tea. Not to sweet not to bland, etc. The other new recipe I kind of invented myself. I don't normally eat pork but everyone wanted roast so I went to Costco and got country pork shoulder ribs. Brown them like you would pork chops after marinating overnight. Choose your own spices just cover them thoroughly and I add in a dash or two of raw apple cider vinegar and EVOO. After you have browned them on all sides. Remove to a platter and in the same skillet add marsala, porchini mushrooms, 2 pkgs of mrs grass vegetable soup mix, and a can of light cream of mushroom soup. Put meat back into sauce and let it simmer on low. I served it with basmati rice and steamed green beans.