Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fleur de Lis Ring

Now, honestly guys? Yes, I have taken a silversmithing course and YES I am capable of making things correctly and perfectly HOWEVER the course I took was in a real live workshop with power tools and rolling mills. Also: I AM LAZY. Which all adds up to mean that the pieces I produce at home are often made pretty quickly and in a "just throwing this together for fun" fashion rather than "OMG MUST BE PERFECT BECAUSE MY TEACHER IS WATCHING" way. And in the end? I think that works out. I like for things to look beat up, old, imperfect . . . the whole theme of my Etsy shop is upcycling things that are old and rusty.

To that end, I'm pretty fond of wonky bezels, oxidized sterling and pieces that come out looking like a Viking could've worn them. Like this one:





I made the band by stamping a strip of silver with a fleur de lis metal stamp (and a hammer!) and paired it with a bezel set onyx with an oversized back plate. I finished the piece off by oxidizing the whole thing, then polishing or a bit of shine and dimension. The whole ring took about an hour and a half to make.

2 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Nice! I like the fleur de lis.

Diane said...

I absolutely LOVE this ring - it looks medieval...Santa knows my size, right? Love, Mom.