Monday, October 26, 2009

I Cooked Something!

Something worth posting and not a baked potato with beans and cheese (shut up!) or vat of rice krispies treats (I mean it, be quiet). Bean is becoming more and more cooperative and allowing me to Eat! Actual! Food! On occasion. Vegetables other than potatoes, even! Good ol' Bean.


Baked Potato and Corn Chowder

- 3 medium sized russet potatoes, rubbed in olive oil and sea salt and set in a 425 degree oven to bake for an hour
- 3 tblsp butter (I used Kerrygold)
- About 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 sweet onions, diced
- 4 large carrots, scraped and diced
- 1 celery heart, leaves and all, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 or 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced into half moons (If you have preggo brain and forgot the leeks, no need to get all apocalyptic about it. The soup will be fine without them.)
- 8 cups water and your favorite stock powder, or 8 cups stock
- 3 cups milk (I used 1%)
- 1/2 lb frozen white corn
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 cup of shredded white cheese (I used a combo of white cheddar and Dubliner)
- At least 1 tblsp cracked black pepper
- 2 sliced green onions


* While potatoes are baking, dice up veg and saute in a dutch oven or stockpot with butter and salt until onions are translucent but not browned (10 mins or so)
* Add stock/water and milk, frozen corn and creamed corn and simmer until potatoes are done
* Slice baked potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop potato flesh into soup pot
* Stir in black pepper and 3/4 of cheese
* Turn off soup and let rest
* Meanwhile, top potato skins with remaining cheese, broil for a few minutes then garnish with green onions
*** Makes 6-8 bowls of soup ***


Thanks to everyone who responded on the caffeine front. My body is telling me to give it up and I certainly listen when my body tells me it NEEDS HALLOWEEN CANDY, so I really should listen in this case too. I bought myself a nice box of Decaf Irish Breakfast Tea yesterday and made myself a batch of sun tea with lemon. I chugged it all evening and still slept soundly. I've always thought that decaf was sort of pointless, but HOORAY FOR DECAF. I have realized it does indeed deserve a place on store shelves.

Today's minor freakout: When the hell do I take my belly ring out?

4 comments:

Jane said...

Congrats! (A few posts late.)I love how you posted to yourself until the big reveal. What a great idea. Waiting to tell sure is torture. Soup recipe looks good. I usually make the Barefoot COntessa corn chowder, but this looks like it has more veggies. Happy Eating!

HollyLynne said...

Thank you!!! I've never tried Barefoot Contessa's recipe. I'll have to look it up!

Domesticrazy said...

No freaking idea about the belly ring. Let me know what you find out-I'm curious!

HollyLynne said...

The belly ring thing seems like it might be a personal preference thing. Mine doesn't bug me yet, so it is staying in for now. I've heard of women leaving it in until they deliver . . . and others taking it out after a few weeks.

HOW COME "WHAT TO EXPECT" DOES NOT ADDRESS THIS?! Seriously, you can buy belly jewelry at TARGET now. Let's just accept the fact that a ton of us have piercings and DEVELOP A PROTOCOL FOR THESE THINGS.