Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I totally made a pie

A pie! From scratch! I know!

From a Smitten Kitchen recipe, obvs. Tomato and Corn Pie with a few modifications: I used sour cream instead of mayonnaise (because BLECH!?! And you know what? It could've done without the sour cream in any event.). I didn't peel the tomatoes, not because I'm a lazy cook but because I'm a lazy INSTRUCTIONS READER. Missed that step entirely, but I didn't feel the pie was any worse for wear. I just mixed the tomato, corn, cheese and herbs together rather than layering them. And! I made a fancy lattice crust because I saw Alton Brown demonstrate one a few weeks ago and, really? This was more or less the sole reason for me making a pie. It's fancy!

It came out of the oven and husband said "You made that?" then halfway through eating he said "You BOUGHT the crust, right?" But NOPE! Didn't! Made it all from scratch and it was gorgeous, delicious and will most likely be made again soon!

Up next on the pie front: Dutch Apple for a BBQ boy and I are hosting this weekend. Anyone have a good recipe to share? There are tons out there, but none from my usual, trusted sources. I'd love a recommendation if you've got one!

2 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Looks delicious! I wish I could recommend a pie recipe. I keep telling myself I need to make some pies, which I know would make Chris' day, but life has been too busy lately. Definitely on the fall to do list though!

HollyLynne said...

Can't wait to read about what you make this fall! :D