Thursday, August 6, 2009

Spectacularly good for you (Although not likely to win any beauty contests)

I've never been great about eating breakfast. As a child I flat out refused to eat in the mornings. It got so bad that my poor parents resorted to waking me up at 4am as my dad was getting ready for work, hoping they could get a bowl of cereal in me and send me back off to bed for a few hours before I woke up enough to protest.

That actually somehow worked for a few weeks.

Once I was living on my own and making my own rules, if I was going to have breakfast at all I'd have soup. Yep. You read that right. Soup. To this day, when I'm on vacation with my family at Hampton Court I revert to soup for breakfast behavior.

The thing isn't so much that I hate breakfast food. I'll quite happily eat eggs and BREAKFAST POTATOES OMG for brunch on the weekends. It is just that on workdays the last thing I want to get involved in as I'm flinging myself around trying to get out the door is FOOD PREPARATION. Granola bars and the like don't count in my book because food has to be HOT in order to make me feel like I've really eaten. By the time I get to the office, honestly? I'm not really hungry anymore. And can quite happily stay not hungry until lunchtime. At which point, I'd gladly eat a live water buffalo.

Skipping breakfast isn't the sanest practice. Clearly.

Several months ago, Swistle blogged about a fairly involved but yummy and week-long-lasting oatmeal recipe. "EAT IT FOR A WEEK" caught my attention immediately. There were bits about the recipe that I wasn't that into . . . bananas for one (I'll happily eat a banana, but never one that has been mushed). And the canned pineapple sounded nice but I didn't like the idea of opening a can only to use a bit then toss the rest. But the basic concept, to cook a pile of oatmeal and fruit casserole style, was genius.

I played around with it a bit and came up with an apple and cinnamon version, to which I added blueberries, and eventually walnuts. That's three, arguably FOUR, so-called "Superfoods" in one breakfast dish (oats, blueberries, walnuts and sometimes apples). I make a batch every Sunday, toss it in a tupperware and dole out portions every morning at work. 50 seconds in the microwave and I've got a hot, filling and extremely healthy breakfast. It is also, admittedly, a freakishly purple looking breakfast. Like I said, won't be winning any beauty pageants, but it seems to have solved my breakfast dilemma.


Super-Awesome Oatmeal
1 1/2 cups milk
2 heaping tblsp. brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
big pinch salt
1 cup quick cook steel cut oats (if you can't find them, I've made this with regular old Quaker oats and it comes out fine)
2 apples, diced
1 - 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
1 - 1 1/4 cups walnuts

- in a stockpot, bring milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt to a boil
- stir in oatmeal and let simmer for a minute or two
- stir in apples, blueberries and walnuts then remove from heat
- transfer to a greased baking dish and bake at 350 for 15 minutes
Makes 5 nicely sized servings which will keep for a week and can be reheated in 50 seconds (or so) in the microwave.

4 comments:

DomestiKook said...

Been making this for a few months now. Put mine in a metal loaf pan then just cover it when it's cool and into the fridge it goes. I usually opt for apples, blueberries/strawberries (which ever I have), pineapple (the small cans of crushed you can get in the asian section)and sometimes pecans. I tend to double (or triple) the brown sugar, add cinnamon and vanilla.
That recipe is awesome!

Nutsy Coco said...

Looks yummy! I think I'll have to try that out at some point.

Camels & Chocolate said...

YUM! Bookmarking! Also on my to-try list in the coming week: http://www.theroadforks.com/recipearchives/tropicalgranola

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.