Friday, August 21, 2009

Project Runway, Early Opinions

*** HERE THERE BE SPOILERS! AVAST YE WHO HAVE NOT WATCHED THE FIRST EPISODE YET! ***

(Why, YES, I did ride Pirates of the Carribean three times this week.)

So! It was a pretty good episode! Awesome bits inlcude:

- Watching the designers shop at Mood in LA which was WALKING DISTANCE from the apartment I lived in before I got married. WALKING distance, yo.

- Hearing that Ra'mon left med school where he was studying neurosurgery to persue fashion. Um, RAD!

- Blazing So. Cal sun for the requisite rooftop / pre competeition / champagne scene. Gorgoeus, gorgeous, gorgeous footage . . . and it made me So! Excited! about Runway coming to my hometown!

After scoping the first epidose I've got a few early favorites:

- Nicholas: He didn't catch my attention upfront, but I really liked his first challenege dress and OMG YOU GUYS check out his prior work on Runway's website. It is all gothic angel wings and armor. LOVE!

- Ra'mon: See aforementioned nerd points. And the pleating on his first-challenge gown was HOT.

AND NOW FOR THE TRASH TALKING! Hooray! Trash talking!

- Qristal: Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Her model looked like Target and Payless simultaneously barfed on her. And a quick glance at her online portfolio reveals gems like this one:

All I'm sayin' is I know a little site called What Not To Crochet and I bet be they'd be mighty interested in that photo.

- Johnny: Needs to shut the fuck up. I don't even care if he's a decent designer . . . all has been eclipsed by his whinging.

What did you all think of the show? Assuming everyone watched it because, HELLO IT IS PROJECT RUNWAY!

5 comments:

Diane said...

Had they not bounced soccer ball girl I'm afraid I'd have had to stop watching altogether in protest. Right choice. What planet did she beam down from?

HollyLynne said...

I disagree. Qristal's (it pains me to type that word w/ a Q) was in piss poor taste.

Ari at least made an interestingly and intricately crafted garment, even if it did look like a soccer ball.

Naked model dude was onto something before it all went to pot, although his end result was probably the worst design of the evening. Should he really get credit for the attempt or only for the final product?

Diane said...

Oh for sure the loser contest was close...all three of those designs were ridiculous looking garments. Yes, I liked the original smocking thing, too. Too bad it didn't work out for him

Domesticrazy said...

1) no cable, so I am missing out. Damn! But that outfit hurts my brain.

2)Happy birthday! Sorry I'm late on that, but it sounded like an awesome day!

3) typing with my left hand is hard.

HollyLynne said...

Thanks for the bday wishes, Dcrazy! :D