Monday, August 31, 2009

Little Pretties


My mother in law was in town over the weekend and I planned a craft/pizza night on Friday. We made pizzas a la Smitten Kitchen and flower hair pins via Refabulous' fantastic tutorial.


I've seen these types of shabby, weathered flowers all over Etsy and Craftster, but I had no idea they were so simple and fun to make! You just singe the edges of polyester circles, stack them up and sew a bead or button in as a center. If you plan to try this at home, be sure to check out Refabulous' tutorial. She's even got a super helpful video up of the singeing process.

I picked up a slew of polyester lining fabrics in gorgeous colors at Joann's; candles, clothespins and bobby pins at the pharmacy next door and we were ready to go! We used buttons and pearls from my collection as centers, and the rest of the materials (thread, needles, E6000 glue) crafters are likely to have on hand already.

The flowers were easy and quick to make and came out beautifully! I put together 5 in the blink of an eye, and the next day made several more tiny bobby flowers in about 30 mintues time. They're super cute, quick and easy and fun to make! Can you guess what LOTS of girls on my list will be getting for Christmas? ;)

7 comments:

Meaghan said...

So cute! Love the colors!

Jane said...

I love those. I am thinking brooches!

HollyLynne said...

Thanks, guys!!! Jane, yes! We had pins as well as brooch, barette and even RING blanks! Nobody went for a ring . . . but I might make one for myself. Highly impractical, but they'd be cute for parties! :D

organicstills said...

Just figured out what to make with all the "fake" flower petals from our wedding centerpieces. Thanks for the tip! :)

Nutsy Coco said...

Super cute!

HollyLynne said...

Hooray for upcycling wedding leftovers! :D

Camels & Chocolate said...

Man! Now more than ever I wish I were on your Christmas list! ;-)