Friday, July 10, 2009

Yes, it is called a Tortilla


I have to be honest and say I planned to make this recipe at least six times before finally following through with it. Go over, check it out for a second. See that? ONE AND ONE QUARTER CUPS OLIVE OIL?!?!? Smitten Kitchen promised me that most of the oil would wind up left over, and I TOTALLY FECKING MEASURED TO BE SURE. She was right . . . I probably only actually used 1/3 of the oil called for . . . and I was a rebel and started with one cup instead of one and a quarter. I think if I'd made this in my cast iron instead of in my nonstick I would have wound up using more oil still. But as it was, yeah, there's some oil in this dish . . . but not in the alarming quantities you might (very reasonably!) expect.

My other reservation about this recipe was the flipping of the tortilla. And, internet: I WAS RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED. That shit was harrowing, yo. But I did in the end manage to get it flipped without inflicting third degree burns to any part of my body. Just barely. Again, glad I didn't use the cast iron skillet . . . because it weighs, what? like, 40 pounds? AIIEEEEE . . . oh the anxiety just thinking about it.

I paired the tortilla with fresh made pico di gallo (LOVE! Just seeded tomatoes, chopped tiny, bitty confetti of half a sweet onion, a handful of cilantro chopped finely, the juice of 1 lime and a sprinkling of sea salt) and a side of my usual black bean salad. It was heaven.

On the menu next week are a few salad ideas I lifted from City Mama's blog: An heirloom tomato and corn salad with pasta and a barley and mixed veggie salad. It is getting hot out here, guys. I need no/low cook recipes! I'm not a huge salad person, but I'm willing to give it a shot for a week. The veggies at my farmer's market were spectacular looking this week and I've got a few ideas for crafting non-vinegar based dressings. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

Camels & Chocolate said...

Um, does this just happen when one gets married, one gets all domesticated? Because I'm hoping so. I marvel at all your skills in the kitchen and wish I could mimic them! (Anyone know a fairy godmother on the cheap?)