Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wishing I had time to let dough rise EVERY night


Last night I had a kitchen first . . . using yeast! I have to admit I'm a little intimidated when it comes to baking, being much more of a 'cooker' in general. Bread freaks me right the fuck out. Having had some recent pastry success though, I decided it was time to up the stakes a bit.

Boy and I like a good THIN crust on our pizza. Pre-made and baked crusts are almost always too thick for our tastes . . . and I have bought premade dough and rolled it out myself but even that has wound up too thick for my liking. I found a recipe on Smitten Kitchen which I thought would do quite nicely . . . and then Anonymous New York did a post on having used the same recipe and pronounced it especially thin crusted . . . at that point I knew I had a winner on my hands.

The whole yeast / dough rising bit went way smoother than I was expecting it to . . .it was SO NOT a big deal. Instead of white wine in the crust (and sauce, incidentally) I used a splash of Hefeweizen, which I swear, even though I used all of 2 tablespoons in the crust, I could TASTE and it was AMAZING. My flour was whole wheat which worked nicely . . . and in the sauce I used oregano in place of the red pepper flakes. I topped the pizza with buffalo mozzerella and some basil from our plant. It was ridiculiously amazing. For serious.

Boy and I managed to get all laundered and packed last night while the pizza dough was rising. We seriously need this vacation in a BIG way. We've been working our arses off in the condo, at work and on our businesses . . . it is well past time for some FUN! Hope everyone has a fantastic holiday weekened . . . wish us luck on the Star Trek slots :)

1 comment:

Nutsy Coco said...

Looks delicious. Have a fabulous weekend!