Friday, June 19, 2009

Flying Solo-ish


Last night I finished the ring I'd almost finished the prior night in class. I touched up the bezel, which is still a little wonky . . . and although I do obviously want to learn to make PERFECT bezels, in this instance the wonkiness adds something, I think. I polished the ring using my flex shaft and then oxidized it and re polished by hand.

I think it looks like it belongs on a Viking. Meaning I think it is totally fecking dope.

I also kicked off my Smitten Kitchen inspired week of fun in the kitchen by stopping at Trader Joes and Farm Boy on the way home from work. I picked up a few remaining things I hadn't been able to find at the farmers market: a butternut squash; thyme, rosemary and sage; baking supplies; WINE.

I made Pesto Potato Salad with Green Beans (along with a green salad) for dinner. I modified to use lemon juice instead of vinegar, and I halved the recipe . . . I also used some grated Parmesan in the pesto and skipped the pine nuts because Trader Joes was out. I thought it was pretty damn good . . . and boy was totally enamoured. We're FOR SURE going to be bringing a (FULL! or even a full and a half) batch of this to the family reunion next weekend.

And I, for one, am very much looking forward to my leftovers for lunch!

3 comments:

Anonymous New York said...

Love the ring! I'm so impressed with your silversmithing!! I'm also going to be perusing the Smitten Kitchen blog for a few good recipes now that I'm home more often. She has such good summer recipes and salads. This one looks fantastic.

HollyLynne said...

Her recipes really are fantastic. I haven't had one fail yet! (Except for the cake, but that was totally my fault. And it was edible, just not divine :))

e rega said...

I always like a little wobble in a bezel...tool marks make handmade things much more rich. (to a degree!)

Thanks for linking my blog, by the way, I never even saw it~~