Have you met my blogfriend Moose? Via this post, she put together a multi-player, month-long home organization effort which I joined, in the general spirit of bloggy goodwill and out of a desire to have things to blog about.
Over the weekeend I tackled my closet. I did a MASSIVE closet cleanout and overhaul about a year ago when Boy and I moved in together, but since then I haven't done much maintenance at all. The closet had gotten a little unwieldy. And by "unwieldy" I mean that I think it was ready to eat me alive.
Over about 4 hours on Saturday and another 2 or so on Sunday, I took everything out and put it (almost) all back in nicely. I had considered my dresser to be a separate job which I wasn't planning to tackle this weekend, but I realized that some things in the dresser I'd rather have in the closet and vice versa, so I wound up doing both after all. Bonus!
I took a few select items to Crossroads Trading Co. and managed to sell 7 things for a grand total of $46.03. Of the remaining items, there are:
- Some things I'm going to give to my mom (since (hi mom!) she's close to the same size as I am and winds up with a lot of my barely used clothes)
- A suit, worn only once but which never fit me quite right. I am going to send it toDress For Success.
- A few items that I'm going to take back into my closet and have a re-think on, including a killer brown pvc biker jacket that I love but have never actually worn and a black blazer that I think I might wear with the sleeves rolled up.
- A few things that Crossroads told me they'd buy if I brought them back in the fall or winter, which I'll box up and save until then.
- A slew of uncomfortable but cute shoes and well worn casual clothes which I'm going to give to Goodwill
- A stack of tee shirts with really cute prints that don't fit me properly. I put them with my sewing things and will make into tote bags (<- Overly ambitious? Maybe. But I did it once before with a pirate ship print tee, which is now my favorite pool tote.)
Overall, a good mix of money-making, charity, upcycling and being a good daughter. I think so, right? If you are interested in seeing after photos of the closet, annotated in a highly detailed and probably slightly annoying, fashion, check them out on Flickr.
Up next on the organizational front: Upstairs craft supplies, downstairs craft supplies. Then on to the dreaded 2nd bedroom.