Thursday, June 18, 2009

But whatever shall I do with Wednesday nights now?


I had my last silversmithing class last night. WOE! Although I won't be retaking it just because of the expense and time commitment, I'm no longer confused as to why so many of the students do. That class was FUN.

Last night I finished up my cabochon ring . . . smoothing out the bezel and polishing it up. I also pulled out a length of bezel wire and a garnet I'd been holding on to and started up another ring, figuring that if I ran into any trouble with the bezel, I'd have our REALLY fantastic instructor, Colleen, there to rescue me. I actually almost finished the new ring (GASP!). It is amazing how quickly things go when you use sheet and bezel wire. It was like BOOM! Done. Or thereabouts. I'm still going to perfect the bezel, polish and blacken it . . . but I wore the thing home, so that counts as almost done in my book!

Grand total of completed, wearable projects in class: Three. The spiderweb pendant, the faceted stone ring and the cabochon ring.

In other news, since I've now got a bit more time on my hands, I've decided to have myself a little fun in the kitchen. I picked out 4 or 5 of Smitten Kitchen's recipes and I'm going to try them ALL out over the course of the next week or so. I stopped at the farmers market today at lunch time for provisions: 6 lbs of yukon gold potatoes, a bag of green beans, a bag of yellow crook-neck squash, 2 bunches of green onions, a cauliflower, a maui onion, 3 baskets of strawberries, 6 lemons = $19. Gah! I love the farmers market!

Up tonight: Pesto Potato Salad with Green Beans, slightly modified by halving (we don't need no 10 servings) and by replacing the vinegar called for with lemon juice (I abhor vinegar. I always replace it and if I can't, I'll straight up skip the recipe.) If this recipe does me proud I'm thinking it might be a good one to take to Boy's (um, MY!) family reunion next weekend. So here's crossing fingers for that!

2 comments:

Kate said...

My father-in-law does some of this work. You can make some really beautiful things, which it looks like you did!

HollyLynne said...

Thanks so much!!! My father in law used to make jewelry as well :) He's my go-to source for info about polishing compounds and tools!