Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Annual Lipgloss Dilemma

All Winter long, I wear Clinique's Black Honey in any of it's myriad of forms. I wore it to my wedding! And even though it now comes in a super cool balm formula (which I will, like, TOTALLY be buying), I still feel like I need something a little lighter for Summer days.

The ideal lipgloss would be a fairly colorful clear, candy apple red with gold flecks. Nothing too sheer or too lipstick-y. It would be moisturizing, not sticky and it would taste good but not like it was made for teenagers. So far this year I've bought two contenders and while neither is quite right, they've each got their individual, redeeming qualities.

Sephora Brand Brilliant Shine Lipgloss in Bronzed Beauty looked really promising in the tube, but on the lips it is almost completely clear. It does get HIGH marks for texture and taste though: it is completely non-sticky and tastes exactly like classic cherry chapstick.

Last night I found myself in CVS with a $3 Extra Bucks Coupon and 15 minutes to spare before my metalworking class. I picked up a tube of Loreal's Infallible Never Fail Lipgloss in Firey. The color is more gold than red, and since it is so long lasting it isn't all that moisturizing or shiny. It doesn't have that 'clear candy apple coating' look i'm going for. But at $2 (half off and with my coupon!) the price was right. And it DOES manage to stay put much longer than other glosses do.

Which brings me back to square one. Korres Cherry Full Color Gloss in Coral 45 looks promising.
Tarte's Double Ended Lipgloss in Rhett and Scarlett might work, if I mix the colors. Or, Makeup Forever's Rosewood.

What are your favorite glosses? Anything I should know about, ladies?! Help!

3 comments:

DomestiKook said...

Smashbox Lip Enhancing gloss in Siren or Starlet http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P182406&categoryId=B70#

Burt Bees Super Shiny Gloss in Zesty Red http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=14027&catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&langId=-1

And Primal Elements Candy Apple Red, I just can't find a link with a picture!

I wore the Cliniques Black Honey on my wedding day too!

Camels & Chocolate said...

That's hilarious! Because Black Honey was the first lipstick I ever used as a 13-year-old in TN when I first discovered lipstick.

Now, I RARELY wear makeup, but I have so much free stuff from Benefit that I usually wear that and this awesome Guerlain gloss (also free, still remaining from my days at Lucky) over it. Or else any of those Victoria's Secret glosses, as I do so love them.

Beans said...

Chapstick original flavor. My mom used to be one of those Clinique ladies in the white jackets which is why I think I have such an aversion to makeup to this very day.