Monday, April 6, 2009

Wedding Day


I managed to eat half a scone while getting ready, wrangle my hair with minimal pain and suffering, get my makeup on without any big disasters. I even touched up my (BLACK!) nail polish without any smudges or stain nightmares. I know lots of brides have an army of people helping them get primped and ready for their big day and, I'm not gonna lie, that sounds like fun; but doing everything myself really worked out well for me. It gave me something to DO!!! instead of sitting around for 2 hours worrying about the weather!

As it turned out, the weather totally cooperated. By the time I was dressed and ready the sun was shining and it was, dare I even say, actually kind of warm. I walked down the stairs of the hotel to meet Boy and his family and, even though its a total cliche, I thought it was the most adorable thing in the world when he saw me and said "Wow".

We walked over to the castle which was kind of an event in itself. I was in my huge white dress, we had our photographer running ahead of us taking photos, and my dad running behind with a video camera. We must've looked like we were on some sort of parade! Wanna see the video my dad took? HERE!

We ran into our tour guide, Neil on the way into the castle and took a photo with him. I hadn't actually told him in advance (or, you know, AT ALL during the tour!) that we were getting married at the castle. I think we freaked him out just a little bit, but he was a good sport posing for the photo anyways!

We found a sunny patch of grass right about where I'd pictured us having the wedding, in the castle's main courtyard. Boy and I had written the entire ceremony ourselves, save for an intro our officiant wrote for us. We incorporated a handfasting because of its medieval origins . . . there were six vows and with each vow one of our (six!) guests placed a cord over our hands. Our officiant then tied all six cords together . . . literally, tying the knot. We ended the ceremony with a Carl Sagan quote "For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love." You can watch the whole ceremony HERE!

Then, we took roughly forty billion photos! Many of which I'm sure you've seen already via our Flickr site, but just indulge me for a second while I post a favorite or four here!:

In Infrared:

Parents:

Siblings:


Our fantastic photographer, Jane Newman, and her husband drove us across the estuary for some shots on the beach:


We drove back to the hotel for a toast:










And then for a spectacular dinner at the Castle Hotel of which there are very few pictures because we were all busy EATING! The cameras all did fly out for the cake cutting though!

In short: It was perfect.

*All photos by Jane Newman, www.janenewman.co.uk (Save for the cake shot which I think was taken by Boy's brother . . .or dad . . . )

5 comments:

Jane said...

Just Perfect! Wow! Everything turned out just right. The photos are amazing!

Nutsy Coco said...

It looks perfect!

Domesticrazy said...

I'm so glad you guys had so much fun. That's just what a wedding is supposed to be, fun!

Anonymous New York said...

Everything looks absolutely perfect. You look beautiful and so, so happy. I'm so thrilled for you both! :-)

ReFabulous said...

One word: breathtaking.

OK, two words... congrats! :)