Monday, April 20, 2009

All Solder, All The Time (Save for tomorrow, wherein which I will write about my honeymoon)

I had myself a little torch party this weekend. I soldered things, and shaped things, I made a few half assed attempts at hammering, did some oxidizing . . . a good time was had.

I found myself with enough good pieces to start a new category in the good ol' shop. I'll be listing a few things today . . . I know my skills will improve with time but for now I'm really digging the imperfect, rough cut look of some of my first pieces.

Let me know what you think!

Oxidized Sterling with Iolite. I made this from a scrap of sterling wire I had lying around. It was my first fully realized piece of the weekend, and might still be my favorite!

Knotted Earrings. A royal pain in the be-hind! I melted the wire entirely a few times trying to solder these teensy, tiny joints. But I love how they came out. I put them up on flickr and they've gotten a ton of views. Boy, however, thinks they're weird looking. What do you think?

"Diamond" and Pearls Pendant. I worked and worked and worked this piece. Almost tossed it a few times! But in the end I think it came out beautifully. V. beachy-feeling.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Let me know when you're going to list the top necklace. I find it very enchanting. The earrings, I think, are very primative looking, but I like that look. The diamond/pearl necklace... stunning.

organicstills said...

Nice - looks like you're rockin' the solder! =) I really like the feel of the bottom necklace. I think the earrings looks like crazy wire pretzels...fun and unique!

HollyLynne said...

Thanks, Brenda! I'm actually listing the iolite pendant now :)
Natalie . . . so . . . I made those pretzels for you for your birthday but decided to list them instead since Boy didn't like them. If you do want them, say the word and they're yours!

Nutsy Coco said...

Great job with all of those! I love the top necklace! The earrings are a little too unfinished looking for my tastes, but I think there are a lot of people out there who would like them just the way they are.