Monday, March 30, 2009

Diversion

We're going to have to take a break from wedding posting for second because a) there are actual THINGS going on in my LIFE! and b) I'm inching ever closer to the actual post on the wedding itself and I want to hold off on that until I have the professional photos in (should be very, very soon!)

So . . . lets talk about food.

While on vacation, since we're eating out every freaking night and day, Boy and I like to save up ideas for new recipes to recreate at home. This trip, I picked up a few good ones, all of which I have made at home since we got back (yes, we've only been back a week or so but WE NEED TO EAT anyways!) and one of which I took photos of for your viewing pleasure.

Allow me to introduce: Butternut Squash Lasagna.

I can't give you a recipe because 'recipe' is too technical a word for how I made this. I totally winged it. Like, I've never even held a real live butternut squash before and I had no clue what I was doing when I hacked into it. I told Boy as I was cooking that we'd be lucky if we didn't wind up calling in for pizza.

I chopped and peeled the squash (not even sure the peeling was necessary acutally) and diced up some carrots . . . tossed those in a covered baking dish with some brown sugar and olive oil and salt for about 1/2 an hour at 375. Then I made a white sauce and melted in some Italian cheeses, tore up some fresh mozzerella, pulled out a pack of no-boil lasagna noodles and assembled the whole shebang. 35 minutes covered at 375, then about 10 uncovered.

Lo and behold, it was pretty awesome. Didn't hold together very well but I've never met a homemade lasagnae that did. It would've been even better if I'd had whole wheat lasagnae noodles but I couldn't find them . . . even at Whole Foods! Anyone ever seen any?

Before I made the lasagnae last night I did a marathon cooking session to get ready for the week: Tabouleh, Black Bean Salad, Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, and prep work for Wagamama inspired Soba Noodle Soup and Potstickers later in the week. I wanted to be uber prepared with lots of fresh food in the fridge for this week because . . .

. . . I start my METALWORKING CLASS on Wednesday! I'm so freaking excited. I've wanted to learn to make mounts and set stones and use TORCHES and HAMMERS for so long. Boy and I talked about me taking a class over our honeymoon and as soon as I got back I looked into it and found a class (at my alma matter no less!) starting WEDNESDAY that looked just perfect for me. I signed up right away and I can't wait to learn all sorts of new jewelry skills! I'm gonna have an ANVIL, peeps! RAD!

Oh, and then there are the spoons. Boy and I got a few gift cards to Crate and Barrel as wedding gifts and we went this weekend to look at flatware. We found a set called Mix that we both liked, but the real big draw was that the set had matchign SOUP SPOONS! Check out the photo. Aren't they ADORABLE?! They make me ridiculiously happy. I have no idea why but they do. LOVE!

Hope you all had killer weekends :D

1 comment:

Domesticrazy said...

I envy your metal working! Have fun! I can't do any of that until after Wee 2, electric boogaloo makes her appearance, and I am dying to get back to putting my hands in clay and taking a stained glass class. Again, living through you.

LOVE the spoons!