Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Guinness



(Subtitled: "This title occurred to me and I liked it so much I had to write it it's own blog post")

BUT, REALLY.

Ladies, Guinness is some dope ass shit. It is high time we stopped shunning it for its manly 1940s era advertising. And for the perception that it is higher calorie or heavier than other beers. Fact: IT IS NOT. 12oz of Guinness clocks in at 125 calories. The same 12oz of Stella: 140. Of Corona: 148. Of Heineken: 166. Of NASTY Coors or Budweister: 148.

Where do the extra calories come from? SUGAR. Yep, thats right, Guinness is lower in sugar. And you know what sugar + alcohol = ? It = HANGOVER. Hangover and fat ass. It is a truth universally acknowledged (by me) that I can have a couple or even a FEW Guinness and feel better the next morning than I would if I'd had had just one Stella or Corona.

Then there's the taste thing. Guinness is very smooth, creamy and YES even LIGHT tasting. Beers like Stella or some pilsners and especially Heineken have a sharp, bitter, hop-py taste going on. Stella especially is so bitter and hay-tasting that it TRIGGERS MY ALLERGIES. Yep, I get stuffy and weepy eyed from BEER. I should probably just invest in a pocket protector and some taped up glasses now, so absurdly complete is my nerd-dom.

If all those reasons still weren't enough to spur you to embrace the Guinness, here is one final addition: Drinking Guinness will make you look like a hard ass.

So, guess what I'll be doing in 15 minutes? Attending a lunch the firm I work for is throwing for me and my weddingness. Hooray! Will post pix tomorrow.

5 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

I can't say I'm a fan of the beer Guinness, but my dog's name is Guinness and I will happily embrace him as a substitution :)

Jane said...

About five years too late I discovered New Castle Brown. It was so good because not only did it taste better than most other beer I had ever tasted, I ended up drinking less and thus spending less!

Never tried Guinness because I did think it would be high cal. and I liked New Castle anyway.

Anonymous New York said...

I love Guinness. It is my favorite beer, but you have to ONLY get Guinness where people USUALLY drink Guinness. Otherwise you get OLD beer, which has preservatives from the tap, which also = hangover. This is also why you can drink more beer from cans/bottles and get no hangover but one draft beer will sometimes give you a headache. Preservatives in the tap. Not that you asked. :-)

ReFabulous said...

Cool post about beer -- I really wish I could be a hard ass and drink Guinness. My ancestors would definitely approve... but I don't drink at all. I'm allergic to pretty much all alcohol. Boooooo..... Have a cold one for me.

merrymishaps said...

It's also been proven (by me and hubby) that you can drink Guinness ALL NIGHT and not be nearly as wasted as your friends drinking crap lite beer.

But when you run out of Guinness and have a single lite beer? Game over.