Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A bit of a relaunch


"Redesign Etsy banner and business cards" has been somewhere on my to-do list for at least the last 6 months. When I first opened my shop, I was making mostly purses and crocheted items, all in a very kitschy, quirky style. I always made jewelry, but I didn't think it was the right thing for me to sell via Etsy since, I'd heard, the jewelry market was completely saturated and it was almost impossible to make sales. As it worked out, as soon as I started selling jewelry, my shop took off. So go figure.

My jewelry has always been of a style very different to the style of bags and crocheted items I had been making. I like OLD things. Or at least things that look old. I'm inspired by history: old costumes and portraits, antiques and tokens. For a while, I've been stewing over the idea of renaming my shop to work better with my current listings. I floated a couple of different name ideas, but the one that really felt right was "Relic".

Having decided on the name, all that was left to do was make up the new banner and cards. However, given my absurdly limited Photoshop skills, I dragged in getting that done. Why did I finally do it? I'm currently down to my last few dozen business cards. Shut up.

I had planned to use an image of my jewelry in the background, something that really signified the type of things I make. The photos I had of my coin jewelry weren't really condusive to having text slapped over them, so eventually I settled on this tangle of pearls . . . a photo I took before shipping a bridesmaid's gift order to a buyer. I think it works well as a background: its busy, but thats sort of my aesthetic anyways. The pearls are pretty and glowy. I had a FANTASTIC font with a really killer capital R (Blackadder, which is incidentally the same font that I used for my prior banner and cards) and did a little highlighting to make the text stand out. I'm especially happy with the business card design . . . once I'm sure that its workable for the printers, I'll post photos! I ordered my cards with ROUNDED CORNERS too, which I'm so geekishly excited about.

I'm happy with the new name and the new look. What do you guys think?

6 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

I think it's a great redesign and the new shop name seems perfect. Best of luck for even more success!

Green is the New Dots said...

i LOVE it! fabulous job. you should be proud of your new-found photoshop skills!

Domesticrazy said...

HHHHHOT. Or would it be HOOOOT? No, that's a sound.

Anyway, looks remarkable! And it's a great name for the shop ~ very catchy!

Why the hell are you doing this so close to your wedding?

HollyLynne said...

Thanks guys!!! Dcrazy . . . because, clearly, I am insane. In fact, if "Domesticrazy" hadn't already been taken, I'd have named my blog that! ;)

Anonymous New York said...

It looks fantastic and the name is perfect!

merrymishaps said...

I love it!