Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The 30 Day . . . Soup?

Last night I did the 30 Day Shred whilst taking breaks to stir a pot of leeks I had on the hob for a batch of potato leek soup. This is my life lately. I have several hundred thousand balls in the air and I spend all my time scurrying around trying to keep them afloat.

The scurrying seems to be working though, things are getting done. In the past week Boy and I have finalized more or less everything with our photographer, our officiant and the castle. I spent a few minutes this morning making reservations in Edinburgh: On Friday, March 13th, the first full day of our honeymoon, we'll be going on an underground vault tour and having dinner at The Witchery.

There has been much ado with Home Depot and our custom shutter clusterfuck . . . but I'm holding back the bloggy floodgates on that one until the whole thing is done. Let it suffice to say for now that never, in the history of custom shutters, has one couple suffered so much.

On the Etsy front, I've done a few big wholesale orders lately, for shops in Virgina and Washington state . . . my new business cards are in hand and I love them. I've restocked on my shipping supplies and ordered a custom rubber return address stamp. And a raspberry colored ink pad!

I also, strangely, completely gutted and cleaned out my desk at work yesterday.

If I didn't know better, I'd say I'm suffering from some sort of bizarre nesting instinct. Don't worry though, not pregnant. Do you nest pre-wedding too though? Cause SOMETHING is up with me. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Boy and I have been planning this wedding for (full disclosure here) two years (yes, we've only technically been engaged for one) . . . now that the date is creeping up on us I feel like I should be madly scheduling things but I'm actually more or less done. I've had time, people! I'm finding other things to keep me feeling productive (like, you know, rubber address stamps. And potato leek soup.).

Speaking of, the soup was kinda rad, I feel compelled to share:

Potato Leek Soup (With cheese, because why the hell not?)

- 4 russet potatoes, pierced, rubbed in olive oil and salt
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and cut into half moons
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 tblsp butter
- ample salt and pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 2 Knorr veggie stock cubes (or enough stock to make 4 cups)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese

* Place potatoes in a 425 degree oven and bake for about 1 hour
* Meanwhile, sautee onions and leeks (with salt and pepper and butter) in a large stockpot until soft
* Add milk and water and stock cubes to pot and simmer for a few minutes
* When potatoes are done, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop potato flesh into soup pot (you can sprinkle some extra cheese on the skins and bake them, then top w/ green onions, sour cream, whatever you like)
* Bring soup back up to a simmer and stir in cheese

Makes about 4 - 5 servings

4 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

I don't know what it is, but I go through nesting periods too. And there definitely haven't been any of those during a pregnancy since I've never been pregnant! Enjoy the last month of your engagement! It's great that you have almost everything done.

Beans said...

Spooky I made potato soup too this weekend. Just about the same but I saute the onions and leeks added some flour and chic stock. Then raw potatoes. Cooked for 20 min or so until the taters were cooked. added 2 cups of half and half and wha la.
Seriously try half and half next time. hooooo buddy. Add some cooked broccoli to it good stuff.

Beans said...

Spooky I made potato soup too this weekend. Just about the same but I saute the onions and leeks added some flour and chic stock. Then raw potatoes. Cooked for 20 min or so until the taters were cooked. added 2 cups of half and half and wha la.
Seriously try half and half next time. hooooo buddy. Add some cooked broccoli to it good stuff.

Anonymous New York said...

Glad you included the recipe! I think I'll give it a try.

Imagine how great it will feel to come back from the h-moon with everything all organized and nested! Although... I've seen your pantry and shots of your apartment. You're already super organized.