Wednesday, February 4, 2009

25 Things

Much like the rest of the population, I've been 'tagged' do make a list of 25 things about myself on Facebook at least 80 times. I don't really fell like making a list, then having Facebook send it out to all of my "closest" friends (ie: mostly people I haven't seen in a decade, at least), but I see no problem with putting a list together here, for my blog, where only those of you who care to read it will. I've seen several other bloggers do this recently, so I'll go ahead and jump on that bandwagon. Here we go!

1. I ALWAYS put my left shoe on first. If possible, I put on left shoe, left sock, then right shoe, right sock. This habit originated when . . .

2. . . . from the ages of about 11 to 18, I was a competitive figure skater. I tested through the Novice level (which sounds quite lame but actually involves a full set of double jumps, and a few triples when I could land them).

3. Other than the shoe thing, I have absolutely no superstitions. My boy doesn't like leaving the TV volume on 13 and I think that is ODD!

4. I don't believe in god. There are mysteries about our universe and our existence for sure, but I think eventually science will explain the reasons behind all of them.

5. Which is not to say I don't respect what other people believe. I think religion is fascinating, even though it isn't something I subscribe to.

6. You'd probably be shocked to see the amount of religious paraphernalia I have lying around my house. I have crosses, rosaries, relics from visits to great cathedrals. Like I said, it's all fascinating, just not for me.

7. I have been a vegetarian for 11 years and change. I don't miss meat. Even a little bit. Ever.

8. I can be quite morbid. I love dark things . . . poetry, books, etc.

9. My dark side made it difficult to write our wedding ceremony. I wanted to put in a poetry reading but, apparently, Sylvia Plath never wrote anything suitable for a wedding.

10. I did write poetry in college, under the supervision of, truly, the most excellent writing professor. It wasn't bad poetry either. I can read it now without cringing.

11. Speaking of college, I finished my 4 year degree in 2 years and 1 quarter. Majoring in English Literature at UCLA. In some ways, I'm sad I didn't spend longer in school. In other ways (ie: ways involving student loan repayment), I'm impressed w/ my teenage self's practicality.

12. I do sometimes wish that my teenage self had possessed the gumption to study Archaeology or Physics.

13. My husband and I seem to have met on several occasions before we met in earnest, working together at Rhino Records. He went to a Jimmy Eat World show I helped put on at UCLA in 1997, and we're fairly sure I bought a record from him at This Ain't No Picnic a decade ago.

14. He says he fell in love with me the first time he saw my record collection. I have a Sunday's Best 7 inch that he put out on his own in the mid 90s. He only pressed 1,000 copies . . . its so rare it isn't even on that Wikipedia discography. I can still picture his face when he picked it up and said "I didn't give this to you . . . did I?".

15. I just cried while I typed that.

16. Never, in my entire life, have I ever been so sure of anything as I am of marrying Paul.

17. Every day, I am shocked and humbled by the success I've had on Etsy.

18. I am obsessed with Disneyland. We go for my birthday every year, but I secretly wish we went monthly. When we have kids we'll go more often: Paul might be able to talk me out of going, but he won't be so effective against a two year old. Just you watch! We will have annual passes in no time. Mwahahhaahahah!

19. I've been to the UK almost every year since I was 10. Those visits have been instrumental in forming my love of history. And of cheese and onion crisps.

20. I am obsessed with all things Tudor. Have you ever seen this hysterical video? Paul and I have considered getting me really hammered then taping me talking about Tudor history. It would be almost that funny.

21. In conjunction with my Tudor obsession, I've stayed with my parents at an apartment inside Hampton Court Palace several times over the last few years. I saw something rather unusual there once.

22. I adore cooking. One of my favorite things to do is to take retro, meat based recipes and make them over vegetarian style. I make my grandma's meatloaf pretty often.

23. I love to read but I find I don't have as much time for it as I'd like, with work and the Etsy business and all. I keep my Shelfari link (to the right) updated pretty faithfully. I enter everything I read, even the cheesy romance novels and young adult fluff. I figure, having read Canterbury Tales in Middle English and the entirety of Paradise Lost, I've earned the right to indulge in literary BS now and again.

24. I love to shop, but who doesn't? I'm a big fan of The Gap, Sephora and Forever 21; but also of smaller indie businesses on Etsy.

25. I love my blogfriends and wish I could know them all in real life!!!

5 comments:

organicstills said...

Nice. Good thing you clarified that you're not superstitious cus that whole left foot right foot sock/shoe thing could be misconstrued. ;)

Camels & Chocolate said...

AHhhh! You were a competitive figure skater? HOW COOL.

Also, I am OBSESSED with Disneyworld (we had season passes in Orlando for about the first 10 years of my life), but have never been to The Land. I was thinking of going next month while I'm in LA...why aren't you going to be there to go with me??? Um, perhaps because you MUST get married (again), I suppose =) Anyway, next time I return can we go together, pretty please? ;-)

Also, I have like half of what's in your Etsy store favorite'd, but my birthday's coming up so I'm not shopping until after that (or maybe I'll send Scott's family to your Etsy in lieu of giving them my Amazon wishlist, ha!).

Nutsy Coco said...

Left shoe, left SOCK, right shoe, right SOCK. Very unusual indeed :)

HollyLynne said...

Kristin, honestly, going to Disneyland with you sounds like the BEST TIME EVER. We MUST make that happen! (and thanks about the shop!:))

merrymishaps said...

That's awesome -- love the skating videos!