Monday, January 26, 2009

What to bring


I've been coveting silver hard sided luggage for most of my life now and last weekend, boy and I finally bought me a set to use for our upcoming wedding trip and honeymoon. Even though I bought it at what professed to be a heavy discount at Marshalls, I thought at the time $100 was pretty steep for one suitcase. Not to mention that my carryon size case (for my WEDDING DRESS!) was $80. I'm looking around online now though and thinking I actually got a pretty good deal.

Also, in the DEALS! department: I'm trying to get my trip wardrobe squared away, and while I've taken the whole England/Scotland/Wales trip SEVERAL times, I've never actually had to pack a dress. Jeans usually suffice for stomping through medieval ruins. However, when a WEDDING is concerned, let alone MY wedding, I think a dress or two are probably in order. Any dress making into my suitcase for this trip had to look good with a) tights, b) boots, c) a coat or d) any combination of the above. I have one that fits the bill, which I wore to my office holiday party with a red cardigan and a wide belt (both of which would be great items to pack and wear with other outfits).


I went shopping yesterday with the intention of finding one more dress to bring and man, did I SCORE! I found the dress pictured at Banana Republic. It was originally $150, but marked down to $28.99. It was missing the belt (but whatevs, I'm bringing a nicer belt anyways, right?) and one belt loop was detached (again, no biggie, I'm going to remove them regardless, so one less thread to snip) and so, for the damage, the store gave me FORTY PERCENT OFF! So, let's review: that's a perfect silk dress that I'm going to take on my honeymoon for $17.39. I know!

I hope your weekend shopping expeditions were as fruitful :)

8 comments:

Domesticrazy said...

Nice dress! GREAT DEAL! You are brave to wear silk.

I hate weevils.

Jane said...

Wowzers! What a deal! When I recently traveled to my brother's wedding in NJ, I was a freak about the dress on the plane. The steward hung it up for me, but I must have said 1,000 times to Cliff, "Don't let me forget the dress!" Then when we went to get off another stewardess had hung it in the aisle half way down and I walked right past it! In my defense I was thinking "I have to get to the front of the plane to get the dress!" So much to think about with travel! We made it though!

Nutsy Coco said...

Wow, that's an awesome deal! And a very cute dress :)

SLynnRo said...

I've oft contemplated the hardside luggage, but I'm just not sure about it.

HollyLynne said...

Thanks guys, I'm so proud of the dress deal :D I've been mentally accessorizing it all day!

We'll see how the new luggage works out, but its super light (loads lighter than my old luggage) and the wheels go in every possible direction. I think its gonna be a good time!

burrito said...

That dress and deal are awesome! I love it when clothes are 'damaged' in an easily fixable way and they give you a big discount for it!

merrymishaps said...

The dress is beautiful, and what a great deal! I can't wait to see you in it!

(Also, love Marshalls for luggage. I should really take a photo of the purple and orange floral carry-on suitcase I got for $40)

HollyLynne said...

Ohhh . . YES, I'm gonna have to see that luggage, MerryMishaps :)