Wednesday, January 28, 2009

We have entered the "All Wedding Prep, All The Time" era of this blogging experience

Because, yes, that is ALL I EVER DO anymore. More or less. In a good way!

I'm the kind of person who likes to be over-prepared for things. I have a tendency to work myself up and worry (especially when BIG THINGS are concerned), but I find if I'm OVERLY prepared (like, STUPIDLY prepared) then there's less to worry about and I can enjoy the build up to a big event more. As such, I've already drafted a color-coded Excel spreadsheet of everything I'm packing to take to Wales with me. Please don't look at me like that.

The spreadsheet has made me calmer. For example, when Boy and I discussed going to The Witchery in Edinburgh this morning, I didn't have to stress out over what I would pack to wear because I ALREADY KNOW (with my brass octopus necklace, black belt, black cashmere cardigan, tights and Dolce Vita pumps). And yes, now that you ask, I suppose the spreadsheet IS quite detailed.

Lest you think I've merely been pandering to my psychosis these last few days, I assure you I have accomplished a few REAL objectives as well. Boy and I are well into preparing our ceremony . . . dare I say we're almost DONE! We have a wonderful officiant who we've been corresponding with via email and I think we've collectively managed to come up with something that really suits us. It is personal, and incorporates aspects of things that are important to us. It is not mushy or over the top. It is honest and loving. It will likely make one or all of our parents cry, but thats to be expected, really.

My final dress fitting is on Saturday, as is Boy's first suit tailoring appointment. I believe I've settled on my hair and makeup, although that is subject to change at any moment (see above re: my insanity). I've reserved a few tables for our pre-wedding pub party at The Albion in East Molesey.

I have a few items left on my list . . . I need to book a tour of Conwy Castle for our families the morning of the wedding, although I do have the phone number of a guide. I need to check back in with our photographer and the castle custodian a few weeks before we depart. I need to ponder whether I'll actually need a fresh manicure the day of the wedding or whether I think I'll be able to salvage whats left of my Thursday manicure on Tuesday. I need to figure out how Boy and I should get our rings to Wales. Certainly not CHECK them, but wear them on the plane? Wear them on a chain? The idea of hundreds of dollars worth of platinum in an overhead luggage bin for 10 hours freaks me out.

As I've been planning these last few weeks, I've had many moments to remind myself that I'm SO HAPPY we opted against having a big wedding. Paul and I are making a huge step, and we want our immediate families to be there to witness it. I think, if we were to have 150 guests to worry about, the point of the occasion might get lost among a myriad of details . . . the flowers, the bridesmaids, the invites, the food. Having our ceremony with just parents and siblings looking on, in a quiet, special place, and without most of the trappings just feels right to us.

And, lets be real for a second, our pictures are going to kick ass.

10 comments:

Brenda said...

Srsly. That's where you're going... to have your wedding?!? It looks fantastic.

HollyLynne said...

EEK! Yes, it is!!! :D

Camels & Chocolate said...

I think I'm nearly excited about all of this as you are!!! Can I come??? ;-)

HollyLynne said...

Hahaha! No, because you will be hanging out in LA, WITHOUT ME!

Jane said...

I love the idea of wearing your rings on a chain! Very personal! Can't wait to check out those links.

DomestiKook said...

Have your wonderful mother wear them on a ribbon around her neck, knotted extra tight! If you can't trust her, who can you trust?

Nutsy Coco said...

Yay, the big day is so close! I got a little stressed the last few days trying to make sure everything got done, but overall we had a good time planning. We went the kind of big wedding route, but somehow it still felt fairly intimate. I guess because Chris' family is really big and we see them a lot so it's not like it was a bunch of random people. Keep enjoying it!

PS - I'm totally onboard with the excel sheet! :)

Domesticrazy said...

Holy crap. An excel sheet? I'd get there and find out I forgot to pack underwear. Same with John, except it'd be socks.

I am impressed with your organization. I also find it a little scary. Cthulu scary.

I wish I could borrow some scary organization, though. It would come in handy at times. I have no idea how you manage this! Ia, Ia, ftgagan.

T.Allen-Mercado said...

Ah yes a fellow planner...really is there any other way to do things. *Remembers cocoa for Valentine's dinner dessert prep*

All wonderful wishes for you, the boy, your hole drilling awesome Papa Mixtape, Mama Mixtape and anyone else I've missed. May you share a lifetime of wedded bliss.

HollyLynne said...

Cassie: Mom is going up 10 days before us! I can trust her . . . but I don't want her to have to be responsible for them for so many days!

D-crazy . . .I'm gonna be extra Cthulu scary in my octopus necklace, huh? :D

Nutsy, Paul's family is really big as well . . . his dad is the oldest of 9 and then you know how it goes, exponentially from there!

Thanks for the kind wishes, T.Allen . . . your Valentine's desert sounds intriguing!! :)