I've been getting a lot of "I've never been to Vegas!" and "I'm not sure I'd like Vegas!" over the last 24 hours and allow me to confess, I TOTALLY AGREE. However, having gone together a grand total of three times, Boy and I have compiled a list of helpful tips and hints to ensure that we have fun, whilst avoiding arrest, vomiting in public, financial ruin, etc.
1) NEVER stay at the cheapest hotel you can find. Because it probably smells really funky.
2) Likewise, NEVER buy the cheapest meal you can find. This one should be painfully obvious, but in Vegas I think it bears repeating: nothing you can buy for 99 cents is a good thing for you to eat. Especially if it is shrimp cocktail.
3) NEVER, and I mean N.E.V.E.R. drink anything that is served in a yard long container. Or from a slurpee machine.
4) Stay no longer than 2-3 days. You will be over it by then, I promise.
5) Play the penny slots. They're just as fun as the quarter ones and you're not likely to bankrupt yourself. Unless your self only has, like, $20 in the bank. In which case you probably shouldn't be taking a vacation.
6) Go on a weekday, if you can get away for one. Your hotel room will be 1/2 the price. Honestly.
7) Use the Monorail! It is wonderful and cheap and air conditioned.
8) Drink a TOONNNN of water and slather yourself with body lotion at least twice a day. No matter the season, Vegas is ARID. No moisture + bad food + lots of drinking is a recipe for disaster. So do some damage control, even if its only on the water drinking front.
Just for kicks . . . here's a photo of another wedding that happened in Vegas, 34 years ago: Behold, my 22 year old parents :). And YES, they're still married.