Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Meet The Abbess


I mentioned yesterday that Boy and I spent much of the weekend working on our condo, which included putting up lots of our favorite pictures and travel artifacts. One of my most favorite pieces is The Abbess. I bought her at York Minster about 3 years ago at the chapter house shop (where, apparently, she is being sold as "The Prior" which I find outrageous because to me, she is CLEARLY a woman). In medieval cathedrals, the chapter house served as a meeting place for the clerics (the "chapter") and was off limits to local townspeople and worshipers. Thus, the masons often had a bit of fun at the townspeople's expense, carving silly, rude or even grotesque caricatures of them for use in the chapter house, where they would only be seen by the chapter.

I decided to hide The Abbess somewhere she might not be noticed at first. In general she's sort of bizarre and startling, so I wanted to give her an opportunity to take people unawares! I put her in a corner, on a little bit of wall by the window, partially shielded by a plant (which Boy keeps alive for us).



Some of my other favorite items went up over the weekend as well: such as my beloved Wanker Plate, from Trixiedelicious on Etsy:






My Knight and Monk misericords flanking a big, black framed mirror:





And, hot button topic here, my Jack the Ripper Pub Sign, which I hung over our video entry system. Boy isn't so down with the sign. He asked me last night if "we could move the rapist knifing guy somewhere OTHER than over the video monitor." because, apparently, every time the doorbell rings he thinks "Shit, it could be a rapist knifing guy." What do you guys think? Should we move it?

9 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Hmm, that's a tough call. On the one hand, I can see his point, but it does fit perfectly over the phone!

HollyLynne said...

It is kinda a perfect fit, isn't it? I can see his point too . . . but its just the kind of dark, creepy humor I love!

Camels & Chocolate said...

Nah, it's important to stay alert, ha =)

Your condo is so awesome!

http://www.camelsandchocolate.com

HollyLynne said...

Very true, Camels! MUST stay alert! :D Thanks about the condo, its coming along :)

Natalie said...

It actually might be creepier to have the abbess hanging over the phone...especially given that she's masquerading as a dude. Haha. =)

Beans said...

You said Wanker, huhhhh.
JTR pic can be for reference.

Domesticrazy said...

I agree, keep the rapist knifing guy there for a photo ref. It's the kind of humor I love, too!

ReFabulous said...

I agree with you -- keep the guy there! And I also have to say that I like where you put the abbess, kind of like a little secret or surprise... he-he!

HollyLynne said...

I love that you guys all think we should keep it there. I told Boy so too :D