Friday, January 23, 2009

The $100 Invasion*

I recently went on a polenta kick. Which means I bought a box of cornmeal. Which the Nasty Ass Ralphs I bought it from sold to me pre-infested with FUCKING WEEVILS.

The fucking weevils proceeded to make themselves at home in my flour, my sugar, my SODDING COUS COUS. It was not pleasant.

Boy and I cleaned out the cupboards, washed everything down with bleach and Simple Green, because OH MY FUCKING GOD THERE WERE BUGS IN OUR FOOD. (If I seem to be dropping an unusually high number of F-bombs in this post, trust me, they are warranted.) After the panicked, icked out cleaning and subsequent tossing of pretty much every dry food item we owned, I decided IMMEDIATELY would be a good time to finally invest in some Hermetic Storage Jars from The Container Store. After the weevils, it feels damn good to say my lentils are HERMETICALLY SEALED, thankyouverymuch.

So, this is what our pantry now looks like (click the link for an annotated Flickr version of the photo). All happy and bug-free and whatnot.

I had an incredibly geeked out fun time photographing and noting the pantry. Too much fun, if you ask me. And it got me thinking that it could be REALLY FUN to see the insides of other people's pantries, fridges and kitchen cupboards. So, just to gauge interest here, would anyone join and post to a Flickr group on the subject? Or at least lurkingly stalk one?

*Because $100 is what I spent on glass jars and new peas.

6 comments:

Jane said...

OK, now you go to my Ralphs too! I had a major infestation a few years ago. Disgusting and pervasive. I swear it was a rice mix that came home bad and ruined everything for my pantry. A flickr group would motivate me to tackle my pantry which is sad, so sad!

HollyLynne said...

It is the one on Ventura near Hazeltine. I grew up in the area, and when I was small that was the NICE store. Now it has bugs. NEVER AGAIN! Its all Trader Joes for me from here on in!

Anonymous New York said...

Ew! I don't know what a weevil is and I don't want to know. Grody. If you saw my pantry, you would cry at the lack of organization. It's absurd the amount of crap we have in there.

Nutsy Coco said...

Ugh, I had a weevil infestation once when I lived in LA too. NOT FUN. Definitely don't miss those gross invaders. I'd definitely lurk in a flickr group. Post if the pics got me motivated enough to organize my kitchen.

merrymishaps said...

You've done a good job with your shiny new hermetically-sealed pantry!

But I wouldn't be surprised if a Flickr group already exists ...

(Oh, and nobody wants to see the inside of my disaster of a pantry!)

Joanna said...

There are actually a few pantry groups on flickr(Don't read that too quickly or it looks like panty groups!), including one that shares all of the goodies people are jarring and canning to stock up said pantries! Yours looks so much nicer than mine!