Thursday, November 6, 2008

We did, and we didn't

Starters, goes without saying, I AM COMPLETELY THIRLLED about the outcome of Tuesday's presidential election. An Obama win alone would've been thrilling, but can I assume we've all seen the actual electoral numbers? And that we all are aware of the MASSIVE margin by with Barack won? If that isn't hope right there, then I don't know what is.

Having said that: California, I am ashamed of you. It isn't quite over yet, there are millions of absentee and provisional ballots left to be counted, but it is looking like Proposition 8, a measure that would revise the state constitution to make marriage between same sex partners illegal, is likely to pass. And worse still: it seems to have passed not just in the eastern part of the state, which is traditionally more conservative, it very well could pass in the Los Angeles area as well.

I said it on Monday and I still think its true: This is a CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUE. It shocks me that in 2008, in Los Angeles of all places, there are still people around who think its perfectly OK to treat one group of people differently than another. I always thought I lived in a very open minded part of the world, I'm stunned and saddened to find out that isn't entirely true.

This battle is far from over. I know justice will eventually be done. But I'm horrified that another several years and another several million dollars might have to be spent to get us there. And I'm more than a little freaked out to find myself living in what apparently, according to our recent voting record, isn't quite the progressive community I so recently thought it was.

So, ANYWAYS, who's ready to get back to blogging about weddings and jewelry making and sewing and shopping? I AM!

3 comments:

Jane said...

I am so with you on this. I can't believe that there was more support for chickens than people. :( Civil rights weren't won in a day and this won't be either.

Domesticrazy said...

I was brokenhearted to hear prop 8 passed, too. I want to ask these people "What's wrong with love?" When I asked the people here, it became a religious issue. Every time. And religion is always supposed to be about love and understanding, isn't it?

Please, people, don't legislate hate or intolerance into law, and please keep your laws out of our bedrooms.

*sigh*

Stephanie said...

I'm sad about Prop 8 passing. I voted no! :-) A few people I talked to who voted yes said that's what their church told them to vote so that's what they were doing. They even got their nice yes on 8 signs at church.

I came over to your blog from Beth's blog. :-)