Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Silver and Gold



I got into sterling wire a while back and I've been really happy with the pieces I've produced using it. Sterling is more flexible and stronger than base metal, making it a great, secure choice for setting coins and gems. And sterling has such a pretty, white glow . . . something I'd never noticed before I started making jewelry but real silver and silver colored base metals look TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Sterling is very pale, almost white . . . base metal is colder, more tin-y and metallic looking.

ANYHOW . . . I thought for the holidays since I'd already gotten my feet wet with sterling, why not try GOLD. Yep. Gold. I managed to score some reasonably priced 12k gold wire to play with (thank you Fire Mountain!) and, to keep my prices reasonable, I've finished off many of my gold pieces with heavily gold plated or gold filled findings.

I've used gold to make grape bunch earrings with freshwater pearls in different colors. To set ancient and medieval coins. And also to set Swarovski crystal drops. I've managed to sell three gold pieces so far, and I'm hoping they do well over the holidays. Gold is something I know I wouldn't usually splurge on for myself, but it makes a nice gift!


I was up all night last night fiddling with wire and pearls, so enjoy the photos and let me know what you all think :)

6 comments:

Laura said...

Lovely as always!

I just wanted to let you know that I wore my PIF earrings to work today and not only were they the exact accessory my outfit needed, but the compliments... oh, the compliments! Wow. I was raking them in and bragging on YOU!

Thanks for my nice day and great bling!

Domesticrazy said...

Lovely! I'm not a fan of gold in general, but those look great.

I agree on the difference between base metal and sterling. Now I can tell when I shop, too!

Nutsy Coco said...

Ditto on the lovely! They do look great.

Dave Robertson said...

Hi HollyLynne, that ancient-looking coin is set off nicely by the simple wrapping. Cool! What's the story behind the coin anyway?

--Dave
at Rings & Things

HollyLynne said...

Thanks, guys! Laura I'm so glad you got compliments on the earrings. I have a similar pair that I love to wear, its nice to hear when others do too :D

Dave, the coin is medieval . . . i buy them from dealers in the UK who hunt for them using metal detectors! It blows my mind that, in parts of the world, something like that is still possible.

Barbara said...

Oh, that coin is awesome! I have a Roman denarius that I've been trying to find some kind of setting for.... now I don't need one at all!

Awesome looking -- great ideas. Thank you sooooo much!!!