Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Here we are

This morning I walked down to the elementary school I went to as a child, stood in line outside the auditorium with my soon to be husband, and cast my vote for Barack Obama. Some people go their whole lives never having the opportunity to vote for a candidate they truly believe in . . . I feel so fortunate to have had that opportunity twice, once today and once in the primaries.

When boy and I were working on our mortgage, I had a little mantra that I used to keep my sanity. It was "Time inexorably passes". No matter what abject SHIT we were going through, time would pass and eventually, we'd find ourselves in a different place entirely. I think I'm going to be falling back on that mantra today . . . by the time I go to bed the last several months of mud-slinging, the last eight years of ignorance, will have come to an end and we will be SOMEWHERE. I hope we're someplace worth being.

And as for California's highly contentious propositions . . . notably Prop. 8 which would change the California state constitution to prohibit same sex couples from marrying: for the record, I have to say this, I cannot believe in 2008 there are people who still think its reasonable to suggest that anything can be separate but equal. Have we learned nothing? This is a civil rights issue. This is a discrimination issue. To say that gay couples can be "domestic partners" but not married is the same thing as saying that African Americans can go to school, but they must go to their own segregated schools. This is wrong. History will tell that this was wrong.

Soapbox moment over. Now, if you haven't already, get out and vote your conscience.

3 comments:

Domesticrazy said...

I agree completely. I've always felt like there's a direct parallel between the civil rights movement of the 1960s and the civil rights movement for same sex couples. The only difference is that no one can claim that blacks had a choice, whereas that seems to be the standard argument with GLBT issues. I was so angry after our state voted to change the state constitution to ban same sex marriages that I had to leave work.

Good news, though! You and I are breeding, and will be teaching a whole new generation about the next level of equality. Maybe we can bring about this change before we're crotchety old women!

Jane said...

I am so with you. I can hardly contain my excitement and anxiety for the results to be in! It makes all the difference for my students to see a man like Obama, who faced so many of the same challenges they face, become President.

As for No on 8...I am so frustrated as a Christian that so many Christians are using Jesus to justify discrimination. People try to say that domestic partnership is the same thing, but I could have a domestic partnership with my husband. My employer would give him benefits. Still, living together is not the same thing as marriage. Marriage is a very special commitment and *every* adult should have that right!

Melissa said...

Good luck!! Hope all goes well!!