Friday, October 3, 2008

Sick?!?!

My whole floor at work has been sick for a month, which more or less means I spend the majority of my waking hours in a cesspit. I've done everything in my power to prevent getting sick myself: I HAVE HAND SANITIZER ON MY DESK! (As in, "If you wish to speak to me, please disinfect yourself first. Thanks!"), I drink 2 or 3 Emergen-C packets A DAY!, I've been sleeping as much as possible, staying in most nights, and generally cowering under my desk every time anyone sneezes (OFTEN!).

Despite said best efforts, I've got a low grade sore throat. It popped up on Saturday and I thought "here we go!" but then by Sunday morning it was gone. I spent Sunday at the Huntington with my family (after which my dad fell sick for a few days . . . THE VIRUSES ARE ATTACKING FROM MULTIPLE ANGLES!!). The sore throat rebounded on Wednesday, just in time for boy and I to go see My Bloody Valentine. Despite SEVERAL beers and the most spectacularly loud show I've ever been to in my LIFE, I felt better on Thursday. So much for rest and virtuous consumption.

If I'm going to be sick . . .fine. It could even be fun. I'd bunker down with my duvet and a pot of soup and the Crusades DVDs I've yet to find time to watch. I'D ACTUALLY KINDA ENJOY IT. But this back and forth for a month BS is really killing me. I AM SO OVER IT!

In other health related news, I've been pronounced medically fit for babymaking! I felt sorta like a tool asking my doctor how to go about getting pregnant because GAWD shouldn't I KNOW?! And I do of course but having spent my life thus far trying NOT to get pregnant its a bizarre switch to contemplate. This is all just info to sit on for now, we won't be actually trying until after the wedding. But having been engaged for 10 months now (GAWD!) I know how fast time can go!

Have I called the officiant, you ask? Not really . . .

3 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Ugh, I feel your annoyance. I agree, I'd rather just get sick and get over it than going back and forth all the time.

Intentional babymaking is a crazy thing, isn't it?! Chris and I want to start trying after about a year and we do WANT a baby, but the idea of actually trying for one still kinda scares the crap out of me. And don't even get me started on actually HAVING the baby!

Domesticrazy said...

First: the sick? I KNOW! I would LOVE to be declared in quarentine so that I could spend days alone with DVDs and sleep, but the daycare has minor funk right now, so it's just snot city and no break.

Secondly: Guys, it's not so bad. For one thing, trying to get pregnant is a blast. Actually BEING pregnant depends on your betrayal-prone body, but once you get into the second trimester you have double the blood you normally do, and you feel GREAT! I do have important advice, though. Start bumping up your folic acid now. Drink lots of OJ, start taking a prenatal, etc. Neural tube defects are caused by a lack of folic acid, and I don't want anyone to go through what I did. So start eating really well now, and everything will be comin' up Milhouse. Good luck! And feel free to email me with any questions. I am a wealth of baby-makin info. (Nonacita at yahoo dot com)

HollyLynne said...

nutsy, you're right. its TOTALLY freaky. Domesticrazy can confrim or deny, but I've heard that the pregnancy hormones make you just crazy enough that you can cope with another person living inside of you for 9 months. Cause when I put it like that . . .ACK!!???! And the "removal process" . . . I think its time for me to accept that, while medical technology is expanding fast, its not growing fast enough that they'll be able to deliver babies with lasers by the time I need one delivered (as has always been my hope!)

Dcrazy, i've had the bejesus properly scared out of me re: the folic acid for sure!!! Doc said to start taking prenatals at least 3 months before i try, if not now. Is folic acid in OJ too though? That'd be a fun way to get extra! :)

Thanks for the email . . .I will SO be making use of that when the time comes :D