Friday, October 31, 2008

He's Henry VIII, he is!

Soooo . . . Halloween in the workplace is a touchy subject for me. I used to work in an office where it was a BIG HORKING DEAL. Seriously. We'd all dress up, start the day with mimosas, and leave work at noon for an ALL NIGHT party at the kareoke bar across the street from the office. Mind you this was all COMPANY SANCTIONED. And, more importantly, company FUNDED! Ah, the joys of working at a record label . . . there were downsides too (earning a salary suspiciously close to the poverty line comes to mind), but you'll never catch me saying it wasn't fun!

My new job has LOTS of upsides, one of which, however, is NOT super drunken fun. Not that I mind . . . I'm quite happy here. Its just that getting all dressed up seems kinda . . . inappropriate? I did it one year: I dressed as Rainbow Brite in an entirely handmade, handsewn and self designed costume. Aside from feeling kinda like an ass, nobody knew who I was. Heh.

So, this year, the office is having a pumpkin decorating contest, which I was reluctant to enter because a) my efforts were not so appreciated last time (yes, I'm still pouty about it) and b) regardless of the great Rainbow Bright debacle, I'm known around here as being particuliarly creative and handy with a glue gun, so, PRESSURE!

At about 5pm last night though I had A MAJOR IDEA. And I couldn't help myself. Meet Henry VIII, The Pumkin King:



Here's my inspiration picture, for reference:



He was made using FOUR (count em!) hot glue sticks, leftover jewelry bits from vintage junk bags, fabric remnants, pillow stuffing and a sharpie.

I don't care if nobody knows who he is, I love him!

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I can see a slight resemblance...but now I'm humming the song.."I'm Henery the 8th I am, Hernery the 8th I am, I am".

HollyLynne said...

Oh, dude, I drove my fiance NUTS last night singing that!!! :D And ev'ry one was an 'enery! Never had a Willie or a Sam . . .la la la :)

Natalie said...

Your fiance and I have taken inspiration from this costume and will be turning our pumpkins into the body and head of Anne Boleyn (or some other beheaded royalty)...complete with guillotine.

Shelly Overlook said...

Best pumpkin I have ever seen. Ever!

Melissa said...

By far the most awesome!!

Domesticrazy said...

I love him too!

Nutsy Coco said...

Very cute!