Friday, September 12, 2008

30 Day Shred

I've got to preface this post.

1) I'm a former athlete. From the age of about 11 up until I was 18 I was a competitive figure skater. When I quit skating I had a few triple jumps (albeit, very inconsistently) and I was competing at the Novice level (which sounds lame but is actually 2 levels from the top). A typical day for me when I was a senior in high school was: awake at 3:30 am, at the rink by 5, skate for two hours, drive self to school, school until 12:30, gym from 1-2, schoolwork at home until 4, skating again from 5-6:30, sometimes night classes at my local jr. college after that. So, what is that? Potentially 4-5 hours a day of flinging myself around ice rinks? I think that qualifys as "someone who could kick copious quantitites of ass". With toepicks.

2) As of late, I do not work out. By "not" I mean never.

As far as my fitness level goes . . . a surprising percentage of the muscle I built up while skating is still hanging around. My shoulders and back are rock hard. I still have quads and glutes (although not to the crazy proportions I used to). My endurance however is pretty much nil, having done basically no cardio for years on end. Unless walking counts and I'm sure it doesn't so yeah, nil.

When I started seeing all the hype about the Thirty Day Shred part of me thought "I could totally kick this workout's ass. With toepicks." and another part of me thought "Sure I could have, 10 years ago. But now I'm basically a sendantary, jewelry making slug."

What actually happened was squarely in the middle. I started on Level 1 (I don't have a death wish or anything) and the first half was HARD. Then something bizarre happened. Just at the point where I thought I REALLY might keel over, I started enjoying it. It was like my body spontaneously remembered how to do this shit . . . at the moment when I most needed it.

I'm sore today. My back is actually pretty uncomfortable when I breathe . . . which is disconcerting but in a very virtuous, good way.

I'm not trying to lose weight or anything. I actually weigh what it says on my drivers license for the first time EVER (yep, lied. admit it: you did too.) I do, however, have a strapless wedding gown to wear in 6 months and I'd like to not look flubbery in it. And YES you can be thin and still flubbery.

So I'm going to keep this up. Everynight and see if there are any results. Of course, I'll report back either way!

2 comments:

anne said...

I jumped on the bandwagon too - my DVD copy arrived today.

Nutsy Coco said...

Wow, that's really impressive with your skating! One of my childhood friends was a competitive skater. I don't think she reached the level you did, but I know she spent hours at the rink too.

Good luck with the 30 Day Shred! I'm doing the 100 push up challenge. I run a few times a week, but my upper body is really week and I don't want any arm flab in my wedding dress :)