Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Kinda Sad


I'm moving out of my apartment on Sunday and into the boy and my condo. This is all very exciting of course and I'm really happy that boy and I are finally starting our life together, but I can't help being at least a little sad to be leaving my place. I moved in during a particularly nasty period in my life (the near culmination of which was me projectile vomiting all over my grandmother's church during her funeral, having been poisoned by a Starbucks muffin. I mean, REALLY.) The apartment was the first good thing that had happened to me for quite a while and it is, without a doubt, the most perfect "single girl apartment" in Los Angeles. It was built in 1929 and has many of its original details still intact. Hardwood floors with medallions left by the craftsperson who laid them. All original 20s tile in the bathroom and kitchen. An antique stove with a bit of a personality disorder and a distinct preference for being operated by ME and not others. Coved ceilings, cut glass knobs and a CEDAR LINED hall closet. When I say "they just don't make them like that anymore" its true . . . they don't.

There are of course things I'm happy to be leaving behind too. A neighbor's dog who wants very badly to eat me. A trash guy who enjoys doing pickups before dawn on Fridays. And a citified mockingbird who spends ALL NIGHT singing car alarm noises (I couldn't make that one up!).

Its a new adventure, I know, and I AM excited, but thats not gonna stop me from doing a post looking back at "The Best Apartment In The World" (tm).

6 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

It is a super cute apartment!

Jane said...

Sigh! Can you imagine a new apartment with a cedar closet! What a lovely place! I keep hoping that we will happen upon a house with one of those old stoves still in it.

Domesticrazy said...

The apartment of dreams, that's what you're describing. How wonderful that you had it, and that it helped you get moving in the right direction! I thought apartments like that only existed in movies. Mine were all crappy units of drab. The midwest has no taste.

The puking at a funeral story is as sad as it is funny. Sometimes life just has to kick you in the proverbial nuts, huh? I hope the new place is wonderful to you and your buy. Keep your eye on the mail-housewarming gift will be sent out sometime between now and August!

Domesticrazy said...

boy. You and your boy. I type like an ass.

Swistle said...

Holy CRAP, that IS the perfect apartment. So...you say it's available now...?

HollyLynne said...

thanks guys!!! its not so lovely at the moment, gotta admit . . . the movers are coming tomorrow and its looking a little sad. I'm up to my eyeballs in STUFF (which is, of course, exactly why I'm posting blog comments instead of packing!). Swistle, the landlady's daughter is taking over the apartment. I wanted SO BADLY to "leave it" to someone, but none of my friends were in a position to move right away :( jane, the stoves ARE awesome, but tempermental! And domesticrazy, I KNOW you make great presents so I can't wait to see this one :D