Tuesday, June 3, 2008

And less happy thoughts

1) How ironic is it that when you're preparing to move and you've got the absolute least possible amount free time on your hands that, JUST AT THAT EXACT MOMENT, is when you've got to call every single company that you do or ever have done business with and tell them, individually, that you're going to be at a new address. And how is it in all their years of experience dealing with customers, including customers of the cranky and moving variety, that most companies haven't figured out a) how to set up their auto answering system so that when I key in my absurdly long account number, said number actually GOES to the person who ends up taking my call so they don't have to ask for it AGAIN as soon as we've said hello and b) that NO, in no way is the time I'm calling to cancel service also a good time for a SALES PITCH.

Also, whats up with the hold music?

I'm just saying.

2) What gives with the proliferation of "travel booking sites" like Expedia, Travelocity and similar making it damn near IMPOSSIBLE to search for and find a hotel's OWN website?

Travelocity and Expedia: I KNOW YOU EXIST. And if I wanted to search your "HOT DEALS!" I'd know where and how to do so. So stop populating my entire google search page for a minute, ok?!?!

(And by the way, if anyone reading this has London hotel suggestions, please comment them! Looking for something historic, unusual, walking distance to either Westminster, Oxford Street, Picadilly Circus or Covent Garden, and under 150 Pounds a night-ish.)

7 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Oh no, customer service hell. My favorite part of all that (repeating my account number over and over again is a close second) is when I'm on hold and an automated message frequently reminds me just how important my call is. Yeah, right.

HollyLynne said...

uugh, TOTALLY!!! I thought automated systems were supposed to make our lives easier . . . but all they really do is make us spin our wheels while we're essentially on hold anyways. hate!

Christine said...

Hiya, thank you for the comment on my crafty bride blog, fantastic idea on the vintage accessories if I can't find the perfect dress.

I have no idea about nice London hotels as I only get to stay in boring corporate ones. I went for afternoon tea at the Chesterfield in Mayfair the other week though which was lovely, no idea on cost though: http://www.chesterfieldmayfair.com/

Rachel said...

You're right to avoid the tourist trap places; London teems with character once you step off the beaten track.

Have a look at this site:

www.visitlondon.com/accommodation/hotels/unique-hotels

I haven't checked any prices though. Good luck!

Rachel said...

Ooops, the cut and paste thingy cut off the end of the visitlondon address - it just ended unique-hotels though.

It would be Hazlitt's or The Gore for me!

Jane said...

Sorry, the hotel I stayed at while in London some 12 years ago was more of the Griswald European Vacation type. I realize there are some acomadations that the "ugly American" must make,(no ac for example-for an odd reason it was 90 in May in London who knew?) but the twin beds that sank to the floor had us laughing our heads off remembering Chevy Chase and co.

HollyLynne said...

ooh, that Hazlitts looks DIVINE!!! think it might be a bit out of our price range though . . . i'm looking for the tail 2 days of the boy and my honeymoon. we're staying at the Bank in Edinburgh and for the wedding we'll stay at the Castle Hotel in Conwy and before that we'll be at Hampton Court Palace (yeah, you heard that right . . . long story!), so we don't exactly "need" a first class london room . . . we usually use the County Hall Travel Inn for its insanely good location, we might just do that again but i'd like to try something more special ...