Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hooray, Packaging!!!! (not packing)



So several months ago before I realized I'd be moving in June I signed myself up to participate in a special edition of the July Sampler. Instead of doing one big Sampler for July there will be several smaller 'themed' samplers with (theoretically) better samples. I'm participating in the Jewelry Box Booster Edition and I just finished my samples up last night!!!

I made 10 pairs of English Shilling earrings with Moss Agate accents (Seriously dad, THANK YOU for drilling like, what was it, 110? Shillings for me!). Normally these would retail in my shop for $14 a pair, so its a pretty big contribution, but I had the materials all lined up at home and I've always had a great response from The Sampler, so I decided to go for it!

In order to make my earrings reallly stand out, I wanted to try something special with the packaging. I found a map in an old issue of National Geograpic and cut pieces sized to slip inside plain celo bags. I punched the earrings through the map pages and taped down the backs of the hooks to lie flat, then covered the tape with a little sticker listing materials, etc. I slipped a business card in the celo bags behind the maps and taped them shut. A bit fidgety, but I think they came out TOTALLY CUTE!!

I'd love to beef up my packaging in general for my other Etsy items. I did a big order from Fire Mountain the other day and bought some new shiny black jewlery boxes, which are a bit cooler looking than basic white. I think I might be able to easily translate the map idea by cutting strips of paper to make a little band across each box. I could use materials other than maps too . . . like vintage book pages or scrapbook paper. The celo bag thing was fun for earrings . . . but I like using boxes since they give a bit of insurance that things won't shatter in the mail. And for general Etsy purposes I need minimum fidget and maximum "oooh . . . isn't that cute!?!?"-ness. I'll post whatever I come up with!

6 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

I love how the map packaging turned out!

Domesticrazy said...

The packaging looks great! I love the strip around the box idea, too. I don't know where your energy comes from, but it's amazing that you do so much!

Barbara said...

I love the idea of using the old maps! What a great recycling/repurposing idea! And I love how it makes me think of faraway places I Want To Visit...Someday. And how your earrings are this little piece of that.

Really cute and really clever!

HollyLynne said...

thanks guys!!! domesticrazy . . .the energy is actually just stress, not so much fun when you think of it that way!!! just trying to get as much done as possible before the big (terrifying!) move!

Jane said...

The maps look really sharp with the shillings. BTW, where are you moving to?

HollyLynne said...

thanks jane! i'm moving VERY VERY VERY close to our favorite joann's :)